Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 49
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 49

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

here's a mod that I was just able to test. Since I just put one of my civics into storage, I swapped tires from it to my other civic.

They are both hatchbacks. One's a 95 and the other is a 98. I had stock wheels on the 98 and Integra wheels on the 95. (the integra wheels are bigger and wider)

Before the swap, the 95 always handled better. On one particular curve back in michigan, the 98 could pull around at 43mph while the 95 could take it at 52mpg. I wasn't sure if it was the tires, lighter weight, or newer shocks that really made the difference.

When I switched wheels on the cars, the 98 started handling curves WAY better than before. I would have to assume that stopping distance has also been improved by some degree but don't really have a baseline for comparison.

The tradeoff is going to be worse gas milage but I'm not really worried about 1mpg or so. I can't find any info on stopping distance or likelyhood of hydroplaning on the internet but over all, I'd say that this mod increases my safety on the road. (and it looks cool) Very Happy
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, if they are really bigger (overall outside diameter) you should get a better mileage and worse acceleration. If rims are bigger, too, this would hurt your acceleration even more, but improve your handling.
A lot of balances to consider Wink
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They're slightly larger diameter, but also heavier, so I'm not sure which way they'll tip the fuel economy. Bigger tires also lift the car up higher, which I think would increase wind resistance.

tellin ya though, handles so much better even my wife commented! Shocked
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We are talking slim percentages here anyway. Your driving habbits make way more difference for your mileage Wink
Not sure what you mean by wind resistance, and kudos to your wife - not every woman is able to tell the difference Smile
poonamt93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

The light weight wheel can give benefits in roadholding and handling because of the reduced unsprung mass of the wheel assembly.This means the wheel needs less energy to move in response to bumps, so improving the ride and keeping the tyre in contact with the road surface for a greater time. However this benefit can be lost if the wheel is bigger than the standard, or the suspension is stiffened from standard. Smile

LINK SNIPPED

View next topic
View previous topic