Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 42
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 42

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Defensive driving Texas
Our friend Joshua Nestor did some investigation on Texas defensive driving phenomenon. Not that Texas got all defensive and built a remake of Great Wall of China along its borders, But it's government and courts suddenly got all defensive about how bad the situation on the roads is, and decided to teach drivers to become defensive, too. I can't say I agree with their defensive approach, as their method seems to be yet another offensive money-making machine for the government, but looks like Texas defensive driving is here to stay, so I asked Joshua to take a look at it. He did an excellent job at it, and while I don't agree to everything what he says, I invite you to take a tactical moment to read his short essay on Texas defensive driving. Smile

Last edited by Misha on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
noimad1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Misha wrote:
Our friend Joshua Nestor did some investigation on Texas defensive driving phenomenon. Defensive driving Texas

Misha, i just read your article and found it quite interesting.

I'm a web programmer, and I just finished developing an online comedy defensive driving course - comedydriving.com. The owner is one of the largest defensive driving schools in Houston. Within the first year of opening the online course they had over 24,000 students. I think that is pretty crazy numbers for the first year.

It just goes to show you what a good idea it was to begin with. But it also might show how crazy drivers are in Texas!

______________promo link removed______________
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Noimad, comedy driving has enough money to buy ads Wink
noimad1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Misha wrote:
Noimad, comedy driving has enough money to buy ads Wink

Sorry, i wasn't trying to be like that. I was just saying it is crazy how much the defensive driving has taken off, especially online.

I was talking with the TEA and they are saying that more then 50% of the students are taking their classes online now...

I wonder how long it will be before things like physical classrooms are a thing of the past.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

No worries, nomaid1 Smile

Yeah, it's getting bigger and bigger and becomes an industry by itself. However classrooms will not disappear - courts favor classroom training over online one, because you actually waste more time this way, and it delivers more inconvenience to you Wink
FRE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If the defensive driving courses work, I'm all for it. However, one of the problems is that people don't take a defensive driving course until AFTER they have had a violation or been involved in an accident.

Last I checked, here in the U.S. the road fatality rate was about 30% higher than it is in the UK. The UK had the lowest road fatality rate, but several European countries had a lower fatality rate than we have. That's in spite of the fact that we have better roads than the UK has.

There are at least two reasons that driving in the UK is safer. It is much more difficult to get a driver's license in the UK. Doing so requires considerable classroom study and a thorough written examination. It also requires watching a video and demonstrating the ability to recognize and deal with potentially hazardous situations. The behind the wheel training is also VERY thorough, as is also the behind the wheel test. This thorough training and testing result in more competent drivers. Also, enforcement in the UK and many other European countries is more thorough than it is here.

I don't doubt that the road fatality rate here could be greatly reduced by better driver training and enforcement of driving laws. We should also have periodic re-testing, perhaps every five years. The biggest barrier to implementing this is political. People expect to be able to get a driver's license easily, quickly, and cheaply. If they had to spend more than $1000 and a few weeks on testing and training, they would vote out of office the politicians who supported the program, even though ultimately the costs in terms of lives, injuries, and insurance would be reduced by more than enough to justify the program.

Driving here is treated much too casually, as if it were no more important or demanding than loading the washing machine. That's why we see drivers talking on cell 'phones and engaging in other distracting behaviors while driving. More thorough training and testing would cause more (but not all) drivers to understand that driving is a serious and demanding activity that requires full attention at all times.
arun
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Joshou went to a great extent in doing this work. Hope it helps all. This tactical program will surely help in reducing road traffics, accidents etc.
kyunnie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

*link snipped* has been around for quite some time, but most Texas drivers are still not sure what to do after they get a ticket and alert the court that they would like to complete a defensive driving course. Once you know that you have the approval to complete a defensive driving course, the next step is determining how you want to take a course and when.
Anturako

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Defensive Driving state-approved Comedy defensive driving, traffic school, interactive or online Defensive Driving Course with NO reading.

View next topic
View previous topic