Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 52
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 52

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
uahmas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, I'm doing a project for my driving school, and I've got to interview drivers.

My first question is:
How do you respond to skids?
And if you know the correct way to respond to a skid?
And what do you say about braking during a skid?

My second question is:
if you always wear your seat belts, and why do you or do not?

Can you plz put in your age, gender, type of car, years of driving experience plz

thanks!
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to my site Smile

Here is a reply from me:

Skid.
Dealing with skid actually depends on what caused the skid (excessive acceleration, braking, turning, or just too high of a speed) and type of vehicle (front, rear, or all wheel drive). You should forget about brakes in all the cases but negotiating a turn on a front wheel drive car. I can write you more if you can be more specific.

Seat belts.
Yes, I always wear them. I've seen enough dead bodies on the road to make me doing this voluntarily Smile

Male, 48 years old, many cars, 36 years of driving experience Smile

Hope this helps.
uahmas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ty!!
FRE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Misha is right. Much of the information published on dealing with skids is over-simplified. Also, even if you do the right thing, it cannot be guaranteed to work.

The driving manual for New South Wales in Australia states that if you skid, probably you won't have enough time to do anything about it, so you should be careful to avoid skidding. Of course skids should be avoided, but still it's a good idea to know how to deal with one just in case.

There have been classes to enable drivers to practice dealing with skids. However, it was found that teaching drivers racing-type maneuvers and providing practice in dealing with skids actually makes them more dangerous. Apparently, instead of driving carefully, they tend to rely excessively on their driving skill and take more chances.

If you can find a safe way to practice dealing with skids, and are sure that the practice will not cause you to take chances, then practice.
arun
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dealing with skids requires carefully steering the wheel to a safe spot. skid occurs due to over braking on a turn and its obvious that u dont accelerate more when the car skids.
FRE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

arun wrote:
Dealing with skids requires carefully steering the wheel to a safe spot. skid occurs due to over braking on a turn and its obvious that u dont accelerate more when the car skids.

Not entirely true. Also, it is unclear what is meant by "steering the wheel to a safe spot."

The following assumes driving on ice.

It is possible to skid while driving in a straight line and either over braking or accelerating. With front wheel drive, accelerating excessively may not cause a skid; more likely, it will just lead to sluggish response to the steering wheel. However, accelerating excessively with rear wheel drive will usually cause a skid.

When driving on glare ice, it is also possible for a car to skid for no apparent reason. Except at very low speeds, depending on the car and other factors, a car can skid when being driven at a steady speed in a straight line.

When driving on a slightly slippery surface which still provides considerably more traction than driving on glare ice, a car is unlikely to skid unless the driver does something to cause a skid. That situation often exits when sand is embedded onto the surface of packed snow or ice.
andrewj27

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, most of the skids occurred by human mistakes it's may be acceleration, breaking, turning, bad road conditions or bad weather but always we are going to under estimate them which is the major reason behind skids

their are some good articles available online about skids i hope which may help you in project.

LINKS SNIPPED
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Andrew, welcome to Fun and Safe Driving! I appreciate your contribution, but per site rules please refrain from posting links - just try to use your own words where possible. Thank you Smile
andrewj27

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Misha wrote:
Andrew, welcome to Fun and Safe Driving! I appreciate your contribution, but per site rules please refrain from posting links - just try to use your own words where possible. Thank you Smile

Thanks Misha, i would really sorry if your uncomfortable with link, mostly i never use any promotional links, more over i would prefer wikipeda etc.. which do not need any link juice from other site in my opinion,

As per your suggestion i would try my level best to make thinks in proper way. Very Happy

View next topic
View previous topic