Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 46
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 46

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
funride

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone, my name is Ricardo Nunes aka funride and I ride a Honda Civic Hybrid right now.
My first car was a WW Polo van 1.4 diesel (I sell it with 400.000 kmīs after 6 years) then I had a Opel Astra 1.7 Tdi (I made about 150.000 kmīs with it during 2 years) which I had to sell due to start having oil on the cooling liquid Oops , at that point I decided to buy my first hybrid car: a Honda Civic IMA (I sell it a couple weeks ago with almost 200.000 kmīs after 4 years). Two years ago I also buy a pick-up Mazda 2500 to transport my bicycles but after an accident (no, it wasnīt a bike accident or even a car accident. I fall from a second floor ) Confused I had to buy a automatic car, so I sell my both cars and get my new ride. And I am loving it! Very Happy
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Ricardo Smile

Welcome to Fun and Safe driving!

Wow! You drive a lot! I mean really a lot. I don't think I'm even close with all my more than 35 years of driving...

Last edited by Misha on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
funride

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

And I forgot to tell you about the kmīs made during almost 5 years of motorcycling Rolling Eyes . But itīs also true that altho I had no major accident in all this years (I fell asleep once while driving but without any physical consequences) I only start behaving "save" after being 28 or 29 years old Oops . Right now because of my right hand limitations I really have to make a totally safe driving and much slowly than I use to Evil or Very Mad .
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL I count 6 or 7 years of bike riding, too Smile

You know, I have one interesting observation - people who drove a motorcycle for several years and survived the experience, tend to become safe drivers. Any idea why?
funride

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose itīs because riding bikes requires much more attention and precaution Rolling Eyes . I remember how I used to watch for any movement from every carīs front wheels Shocked .
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, my thoughts on that are pretty close, too. I think bike taught me to rely only on myself for my survival, and that greatly helped me both in further driving and in life in general I think...

Should we make bike riding obligatory for all youngsters? Very Happy
funride

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They will all enjoy the idea for sure Laughing, maybe we also could implement that for some women too Laughing Razz. Well, maybe not, the roads will became even more dangerous like that Twisted Evil .
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL my first thought was pretty much the same. But after a second thought I realized - wait a minute, this will definitely give an increase both in accident rate and fatality rate among teens at first. May be several times increase even. But what happens after that? After the first several years?

Those who survived their bike experience become safe drivers - all of them. After some time *all* drivers with at least several years of experience will be safe - as opposed to the current situation when quite a few drivers keep being unsafe well into their driving carrier. This will give a significant decrease in both accident and mortality rate for all drivers but teens.

Now, what happens to teens? When their parents themselves are safe and responsible drivers, they naturally take care of teaching their kids how to drive safely! As opposed to the current situation, when many parents just don't care and leave this teaching to school, and many of those who care just plain don't know how to drive safely themselves!

The outcome? Serious drop in accident and mortality rates for teens, too! Probably bringing them back to the current level or even lower. And for older ages accidents are almost non-existent already, let alone accident related deaths...

Now, try to think for a moment about a population every single member of which realizes that only he/she himself is responsible for his/her own survival and well-being? How does this sound? Very Happy

I know it is an Utopia of course, and nobody ever be able to force all teens to ride bikes, but does it make any sense to you as a theory?
funride

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

As a theory, and watching my own experience, I have to agree with it. But I also know/knew people who had bike riding experience and are/were really dangerous drivers Rolling Eyes . I believe that your theory would only work with people who really loves riding bikes and to feel the freedom and the power of being in control Cool . Most of "bad" drivers simply donīt enjoy driving and usually donīt even have control over their own lives Twisted Evil . I see life, as well as driving, as a game and beside hating to loose I always try to be in control of situations. But I think it would be good if people have to get bike`s driving license before be able to get the auto`s one, at least they would have to ride during lessons Wink .
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

You got so philosophical, Ricardo Smile

Interesting, I tend to see life as a game, too - but rather the kind of game that does not involve scoring and winning/losing. The older I become, the more I lean towards removing competition from my life and just enjoying the experience Wink

And yeah, your observation about those who don't enjoy it being bad drivers absolutely matches what I see. Very Happy
FRE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Those were some good thoughts on car driving and motorcycle riding.

Even before I learned to ride a motorcycle, I had learned the importance of defensive driving. Of course, to survive on a motorcycle, one has to be EXTRA defensive, and that often seems to result in driving a car more defensively too.

When I returned to the U.S. in October 2004, I bought a Mazda 3; I now have about 14,700 miles on it. In 2005, I learned to ride a motorcycle and have now ridden motorcycle more than 20,000 miles, so I do more motorcycle riding than car driving. Driving a car seems so decadent.

For trips, I use my 2006 Honda VFR 800, but around town, I prefer my 2007 Suzuki SV 650 because it's smaller and lighter.

I've been driving since 1954.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

I sort of envy you, FRE LOL. I did not have a bike since 1980s. Family life on more or less tight budget does not allow for such expensive toys, and transportation issues are solved with a car...

Only lately I am starting to earn more than just adequate family expenses, so I might start looking into what bike to buy. Smile
arun
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There is a huge difference in riding bikes and driving cars. Bikes require more attention and risks are also higher in bikes than cars.

View next topic
View previous topic