Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 49
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 49

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Driving directions module got a couple of improvements yesterday.

A functional one - now print page opens in a new window. I got a feedback that this is more convenient than reusing the main window. If you feel differently, please let me know.

And a cosmetic change - the obsolete logo has been changed to the current one.
sindhu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Prefer to ride Cars ith POWER STEERING.

umping fluid all the time, it wastes horsepower. This wasted power translates into wasted fuel.

You can expect to see several innovations that will improve fuel economy. One of the coolest ideas on the drawing board is the "steer-by-wire" or "drive-by-wire" system. These systems would completely eliminate the mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering, replacing it with a purely electronic control system. Essentially, the steering wheel would work like the one you can buy for your home computer to play games. It would contain sensors that tell the car what the driver is doing with the wheel, and have some motors in it to provide the driver with feedback on what the car is doing. The output of these sensors would be used to control a motorized steering system. This would free up space in the engine compartment by eliminating the steering shaft. It would also reduce vibration inside the car.

General Motors has introduced a concept car, the Hy-wire, that features this type of driving system. One of the most exciting things about the drive-by-wire system in the GM Hy-wire is that you can fine-tune vehicle handling without changing anything in the car's mechanical components -- all it takes to adjust the steering is some new computer software. In future drive-by-wire vehicles, you will most likely be able to configure the controls exactly to your liking by pressing a few buttons, just like you might adjust the seat position in a car today. It would also be possible in this sort of system to store distinct control preferences for each driver in the family.

In the past fifty years, car steering systems haven't changed much. But in the next decade, we'll see advances in car steering that will result in more efficient cars and a more comfortable ride.
chiefjohn

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Misha wrote:
Driving directions module got a couple of improvements yesterday.

A functional one - now print page opens in a new window. I got a feedback that this is more convenient than reusing the main window. If you feel differently, please let me know.

And a cosmetic change - the obsolete logo has been changed to the current one.

The forums look great, operate very well, and your logo is quite nice with the airbrushing technique. Thanks for giving all of us drivers a place to post!
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome here Chief! Hope you can find some useful stuff here to help you on the way...and also share with us some of your own experiences! Smile
chiefjohn

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

myownworld wrote:
Welcome here Chief! Hope you can find some useful stuff here to help you on the way...and also share with us some of your own experiences! Smile

Thanks for the warm welcome Myownworld! I am sure I'll find a lot of good advice and although I think of myself as a good driver, I did make a lot of mistakes in my youth -- maybe I can steer some of the younger folks in the right direction!

OK, that was a bad pun...please forgive me Very Happy
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

lol... you won't be forgiven till you tell us what mistakes you made in your 'youth'! (I and didn't say, only driving related! Wink
chiefjohn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

myownworld wrote:
lol... you won't be forgiven till you tell us what mistakes you made in your 'youth'! (I and didn't say, only driving related! Wink

Haha, I'm sure they'll come out over time. The scary part is even after all thsi time, I'm still messing up! Shocked
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy you're a person after my own heart!

View next topic
View previous topic