Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 55
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 55

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

charn wrote:
On 6 and 7 lane roads, 3 each way, I prefer the middle lane. In the right lane, I would be braking frequently for the cars that stop to turn and buses at bus stops. The left lane is the passing lane, but sometimes it is backed up at turnarounds. The middle lane is the standard driving lane. On 4 and 5 lane roads, I usually pick right. Sometimes my lane choice is whatever matches the turn I will eventually make later.
I experienced a good example of lane choice yesterday on Interstate 5 (65mph limit, 3 lanes on each side). Mid afternoon. Weather clear. Traffic heavier than average but not congested. I planned to exit in less than 20 miles so I stayed in the right lane except to pass 2 slow moving vehicles and 1 vehicle in an accelleration lane whose "driver" did not possess merging skills. During this rather short time on the interstate I witnessed (3 times) brake lights about 1/4 mile ahead and prepared to reduce my speed. Each time the center and left lanes slowed considerably while the right lane proceeded at legal speed. This was because more than 80% of the vehicles were in the center and left lanes causing unnecessary congestion.
Astraist
Master Driver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think that what sgtrock describes is a more appropriate approach: Keep to the right lane, even if you are on a highway with multiple exits. It's better to keep right and move left before an interchange and back right after it.

The only reason to drive in the left lane permanently is when the right lane is very congested due to a series of exits, turns, entrances to parking lots, columns of parked cars along the curb, etcetra - which happens in town and not on multiple-lane highways.

Treat any lane change as an overtake on a single carriageway: Always reconsider before you change lanes. Maybe the slower vehicle ahead will eventually pick up the speed? Maybe it will turn aside or changes lanes himself, maybe you will both come to a stop at a near traffic light or jam?

Lately, two experienced driving trainers and race drivers in my country did a test where they both set out to the same route in the same hours - one driving as if rushed - weaving in and out of traffic constantly, accelerating suddenly, driving at a relatively high speed and with relatively small margins from other cars.

The other driver made a handfull of lane changes and only when he absolutly had to - and finished the hour-long course less than ten minutes after the other driver, and not thanks to traffic lights, I can tell you.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Astraist wrote:
Lately, two experienced driving trainers and race drivers in my country did a test where they both set out to the same route in the same hours - one driving as if rushed - weaving in and out of traffic constantly, accelerating suddenly, driving at a relatively high speed and with relatively small margins from other cars.

The other driver made a handfull of lane changes and only when he absolutly had to - and finished the hour-long course less than ten minutes after the other driver, and not thanks to traffic lights, I can tell you.
Actually, 10 minutes on an hour is more than 15% - pretty good improvement if you ask me.

View next topic
View previous topic