Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 36
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 36

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It happened again today. A cyclist pretending to be a pedestrian for their advantage. In my state (Oregon) cyclists are required to obey the same laws as motor vehicle operators. Many cyclists choose to not obey these laws and will try to become pedestrians if it is to their advantage. I was driving on a state highway (99W) entering a small town. On this portion of the highway there are no stop signs or traffic signals. A cyclist stopped on a side street to my left which is controlled by a stop sign. The speed zone is 30 mph which was my speed. There is a marked pedestrian crosswalk at this intersection. Traffic is required by law to stop for pedestrians at a marked crosswalk and allow them to cross. The cyclist had instead of stopping on his street at the stop sign stopped at the crosswalk. As traffic continued on their way (including me). The cyclist was throwing his hands in the air indicating "why is traffic not stopping I'm at a crosswalk". I checked my rear view mirror and saw that a motor vehicle had stopped to let him cross. I don't know who reaches the higher degree of stupid. The cyclist breaking the law or the motorist who thinks he is a pedestrian. I have disturbing news for you Mr. cyclist you are not a PEDESTRIAN!!! If you would care to dismount your bicycle and walk it across the highway in the crosswalk I would of course stop for you. You would then be a pedestrian.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hear, hear. Cyclists are my pet peeve, too Smile

As a rule, they are totally crazy here in DC area. Running red lights, riding on sidewalks endangering pedestrians, stopping up traffic on narrow roads - you name it... Grrr
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
It happened again today. A cyclist pretending to be a pedestrian for their advantage. In my state (Oregon) cyclists are required to obey the same laws as motor vehicle operators. Many cyclists choose to not obey these laws and will try to become pedestrians if it is to their advantage. I was driving on a state highway (99W) entering a small town. On this portion of the highway there are no stop signs or traffic signals. A cyclist stopped on a side street to my left which is controlled by a stop sign. The speed zone is 30 mph which was my speed. There is a marked pedestrian crosswalk at this intersection. Traffic is required by law to stop for pedestrians at a marked crosswalk and allow them to cross. The cyclist had instead of stopping on his street at the stop sign stopped at the crosswalk. As traffic continued on their way (including me). The cyclist was throwing his hands in the air indicating "why is traffic not stopping I'm at a crosswalk". I checked my rear view mirror and saw that a motor vehicle had stopped to let him cross. I don't know who reaches the higher degree of stupid. The cyclist breaking the law or the motorist who thinks he is a pedestrian. I have disturbing news for you Mr. cyclist you are not a PEDESTRIAN!!! If you would care to dismount your bicycle and walk it across the highway in the crosswalk I would of course stop for you. You would then be a pedestrian.

I can so relate. Cyclists here in london are the same, if not worse. They actually think they 'own' the road, so that they turn (and twist!) as and when they like without even bothering to signal. And they hardly ever stop at traffic signals.
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to see a law passed where cyclists are required to yield (move over) for faster moving motor vehicle traffic. I have experienced that about 90% of cyclists here obey the traffic laws. Of course the 10% who don't are the ones we remember. Where I live vehicles moveing 20mph below the posted speed are required by law to "pull over" at the first safe opportunity and let traffic pass. Some Cyclists do not consider themselves as slow moving vehicles in a 55mph speed zone although they are moving at 15 to 20 mph! sometimes on roads with no "shoulder", blind curves, and elevation changes. Occasionally at night in pouring rain with very inadequate lights/reflectors. "Darwin Award Candidates"!!!
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think yet another law would help. Those same cyclists that block traffic without any consideration for others likely are in these 10% that run red lights and otherwise break road rules. Darvin is the only hope I think.
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Misha wrote:
I don't think yet another law would help. Those same cyclists that block traffic without any consideration for others likely are in these 10% that run red lights and otherwise break road rules. Darvin is the only hope I think.
Sorry. I reallise now that I reqested a new law then described an existing law that is the same thing. I am afraid you are correct. A certain percentage of people will not obey a law because they think it is stupid. Some people will not obey any laws because they are sociopaths.
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
Got a twofor yesterday. For a few months a pedestrian operated signal on a between intersection crosswalk has been in effect. The pedestrian pushes a button that activates flashing yellow lights. there are signs stating yield to pedestrians when lights flash. I think the lights should be red if it means stop. I was on this very congested 3 lane one way 30mph street. I was about 6 vehicles away from the flashing lights and noticed no one was stopping. traffic finally stopped when I was 2 vehicles away. I could then see that the "pedestrian" was the usual idiot on a bicycle riding it across the pedestrian crosswalk. About 1 hour later I was waiting to make a right hand turn. Traffic had cleared there were no pedestrians in the crosswalk, the crosswalk signal had turned to red, and I started to make my turn when a bicyiclist zoomed across in the pedestrian crosswalk. I stopped, the light changed, and I had to wait out the signal. I am against more government regulation but I think bicyclists over 16 years old should require a liscense the same as motor vehicle operators. Some of them might then have a clue.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Frankly I don't know what to do with hem, short of shooting them down dead on a first sign of breaking road rules Very Happy I guess we just have to live with this...
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Misha wrote:
Frankly I don't know what to do with hem, short of shooting them down dead on a first sign of breaking road rules Very Happy I guess we just have to live with this...

I had another one a few days ago. I was turning left on a 3 lane one way street (30mph) green light onto a 2 lane street. As I turned from the left lane an adult and I would guess 12 year old bicyclists riding on the sidewalk did not stop and attempted to cross the intersection. I did not see or expect them. I would expect and look for pedestrians but bicycles are not expected and are much faster. I was already transitioning the crosswalk. They had to stop and the Father screamed something and gave me the finger! Do they not know the laws for bicyclists or do they think they are they are somehow entitled and the law does not apply to them! There is a bicycle lane on the right side of this street. There should not only be an open season for shooting these idiots. There should be a bounty paid.

View next topic
View previous topic