Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 48
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 48

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
FRE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

newbielearner wrote:
Astraist wrote:
newbielearner wrote:

I did some motorway driving with an uncle this weekend and I swear I was deadbeat by the end of it. It's so hard to stay awake after a few hours on the road and we were constantly stopping for breaks! This advice should help cause I need to travel soon with my mates for a trip up north. Better not fall asleep then!

Driving is harder and more fatiguing for newer drivers. Limit yourself: Do not drive over ONE hour! It's even a good idea to stop each 45-50 minutes!

Take a long break (about a half hour) and possibly swap drivers if possible, each six hours. You can use this break to take a short nap. Do not drive over eleven hours a day!

The symptoms of fatigue start with frequent yawning, burning eyes and heavy eyelids, and touching your own face and forehead. When you recognise these symptoms - look for a safe place (like a filling station) to pull over into.

Do not wait for serious fatigue to kick in, but do look for a SAFE place to stop, one which is segregated from the carriageway. A nap of 20 to 40 minutes will give you about one full hour of wakefullness. This is a one-time solution before getting a longer rest of at least two hours, and than untill you take at least six hours!

I did follow your advice mate on my latest trip up north. I was so tired, had a late night before but had to drive up to see my parents for the weekend. Could barely keep my eyes on the road and the coffee shots stopped working after a bit.

So, I actually parked the car at a station and just put my legs up and took a nap. Half hour max, but it worked like magic! Very Happy

Unfortunately, for various reasons, that doesn't always work for everyone. Once I actually stopped and spent the night in a motel instead of driving on to where I had intended to spend the night. Sometimes starving helps, like delaying lunch then having a very tiny lunch. Sometimes taking a walk for a few minutes is more effective than taking a nap.
newbielearner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, starving yourself or delaying lunch is one I didn't think of before! Must try it next time Very Happy

View next topic
View previous topic