Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 44
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 44

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
DaughterOfEve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am still a fairly new driver, and have only had my license for about 2 years. But, in those 2 years...I have really learned to HATE rain. I absolutely can not stand it when I am driving. I find it annoying, and distracting. Having the windshield wipers going back and forth in my face. So annoying! Everything just becomes annoying to me!

Is anyone else like this? Does anyone have tips on how to lessen my hate for driving in the rain (besides, don't do it)?
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

LOL For me hate is probably too strong of a word, yet I certainly don't enjoy rain as much as other driving environments, mostly due to the limited visibility. Smile
newbielearner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DaughterOfEve wrote:
I am still a fairly new driver, and have only had my license for about 2 years. But, in those 2 years...I have really learned to HATE rain. I absolutely can not stand it when I am driving. I find it annoying, and distracting. Having the windshield wipers going back and forth in my face. So annoying! Everything just becomes annoying to me!

Is anyone else like this? Does anyone have tips on how to lessen my hate for driving in the rain (besides, don't do it)?

Me too. Am new to driving and would love some tips to improve in difficult weather conditions.
Astraist
Master Driver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I actually like driving in the rain, as rare as it is in my country. It seems that the harder conditions make driver put their bad driving habits and general agressiveness on a low key and you can really focus on proper driving.

Here's how to discover driving in the rain over again: First, if it's really pouring and maybe windy and in any way very challenging or dangerous than not driving is a good advice. However, in lighter rain, there are certainly some things to look for:

Starting with setting up the vehicle: Tires from a known and established brand, unaged and unworn and inflated to the proper pressure - will be worth their weight (around 50 kilograms in most family cars) in gold! Dampers that aren't worn and a proper wheel alignment are almost as important and a fresh brake fluid and unworn brake pads count too.

The wipers should remain unworn and unaged so they don't smear or move the water around. The rubber usually becomes bone-dry within a year, often within six months. The mechanical arms of the wipers should also work properly.

Ensure you have enough washing fluid for the wipers (never just water!) and that is "fresh" and not too old to be effective. Also, ensure that the windshield and all other car glasses are clean - inside and out - by cleaning them each week or two.

Replace the air conditioning fliter each second year and use it, too! Keep the temperature nice and comfortable inside the car, but not "stuffy" and without causing the windows to mist up. To do so, turn on the A/C from time to time, simultanous to the action of the heater. This will keep the temperature nicely balanced, keep the windows clean or demist them (by turning the air flow to the vent under the windshield) and keep the air conditioning system working well. Also, keep one of the front windows slightly open on the top.

Don't use the wipers harder than you need to! I gather that you already understand how distracting they can be with their speed set to maximum for no good reason (or because they are too old to dry the windshield). Use them proactivelly, though: If you or another car near you are about to enter a big puddle and cause a splash, apply the wipers to maximum a second or two before you get splashed. Keeping your hands at quarter to three on the wheel with the thumbs on the spokes of the wheel and the palms on the outside will help here too, since your fingertips could operate the wipers quite easily.

Use your lights: Turning on the headlights really helps to increase your visibility to others (even under the afternoon sun at the summer!). Also, maintain a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you see to be clear AND maintain big margins from other cars. Three and a-half seconds are a good rule of thumb for winter conditions. Measure the gap frequently to ensure you get it right. It will make driving so much more relaxed and safe!
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Astraist, did you see my PM? I will appreciate if you take a look Smile
mirb7000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Driving in the rain can be a pain, but snow is worse! Though driving in the rain at night is awful.

View next topic
View previous topic