Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 62
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 62

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
SeekingKarma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey there all! Long time lurker, first time poster...

As above, I'm going for my license on March 2nd. Been practicing my tush off and I know the whole course that they'll take me through (parallel parking, speed control, turn signals, etc.)

Must admit, I'm still hella nervous getting into a car. I'm already cautious but I worry I may be too cautious. How can I get to be a more confident driver?

tips? suggestions?
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Fun And Safe Driving. Thank you for joining the forums...and not just lurking! Smile

There are lots of useful sections in the forums that will help you with your driving test, but is there any particular area/skill that worries you more?
SeekingKarma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

myownworld wrote:
Welcome to Fun And Safe Driving. Thank you for joining the forums...and not just lurking! Smile

There are lots of useful sections in the forums that will help you with your driving test, but is there any particular area/skill that worries you more?

Hey there!

There IS a couple things I still need help with:

1) Staying in lane--NO i'm NOT a lane jumper. I have a tendency to drift further on the right than what I'm supposed to. Like I toe into the breakdown lane. I guess it kinda stems from being afraid that I'll hit the cars coming up on the left of me

2) Parking--Funny how I mastered parallel parking the first time I did it (please please hold your applause! haha) buttttttt I'm having issues parking in a parking lot. In fact, I want to go out driving tomorrow; there's a big lot on the next street over that I could use.

3) Knowing when it's my turn to..well...turn--Say I'm at an intersection. I have a tendency to let other drivers go when it's supposedly my time

4) Reversing out of a driveway smoothly

5) Highway driving in general...I peed myself a little going on 95N the first time

6) Driving anxiety in general--It's been a slow process for me. I'm actually an adult learning (23, shut up Wink) and I'm just now realizing that I can drive. My dad tried to teach me but he made it unbearably impossible and my mom is too controlling. Her ex-boyfriend taught me some things but I had enough of letting my life pass me by and I ordered defensive driving lessons. My instructor noted that I knew what I was doing it was just my confidence behind the wheel that was lacking.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi SK,

And welcome to the forums Smile

Taking a look at all your problems I can say that the only way to fix them is practice. The more you drive, the more you will do things smoothly, the more you will become confident in what you are doing. It just takes time, and there are really no shortcuts here. Driving more and paying attention to what you are doing is the way. Smile

Good luck! Smile
SeekingKarma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hey misha! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

You're exactly right I do have to drive more. The uneasiness is wearing off but not to a point were I get completely comfortable. I think that being too comfortable can be a bad thing.

I have my test on friday, kinda nervous but not really. Any tips on how to manage nervousness?
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Certainly being too confident is a dangerous thing, but you will worry about this a year or two down the road. Right now your problem is the lack of confidence, and this is what provokes your nervousness, and this is what you have to deal with to fix it.

So, use all the time you have till Friday to get more driving practice, which will improve your skills, which will increase your confidence, which will decrease your nervousness. Smile
Astraist
Master Driver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

SeekingKarma,

Your issues are those which many learners or new drivers struggle with, so there is nothing out of the ordinary.

Drifting across the width of the lane, especially to the passenger's side, is a well known phenomenon. It's main cure is simply experience and trail and error, preferably diversed: Starting from the more simple highway driving, through narrow roads, roads with traffic coming both ways and narrow roads.

When driving in such places, you need to maintain a forward vision focused far ahead. This will make your mind draw an imaginary line between you and that remote point on the horizon, making you travel in a straight, smooth lline. Holding the wheel steady at 9 and 3 and not sitting too far from it can help too.

You can use a reference point down the bottom part of your windshield to gauge the gap from a curb or line while driving. This point also helps in the early stages, untill the measurement becomes more natural.

Highway driving anxiety is solved mainly by those same steps: Looking further ahead which will also reduce the sense of speed, and being at a safer and more relaxed driving position behind the wheel, giving you a sense of more control.
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Do keep us posted as to how your driving test goes. Best of luck with it Smile

I agree that at this stage, there is nothing that can help more than practicing as much as you can.

Also, I personally think the test instructors sense your nervousness..... and if you give the appearance of calmness and confidence (though not seeming over confident - but rather, in control) it can really go in your favour.

So, do get a good night's sleep too and before starting the test, try to relax (breathe deeply) and convey attentiveness, control and confidence Smile
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SeekingKarma wrote:
I have my test on friday
Hey, how was your test?
SeekingKarma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hey i had to reschedule my test...my niece decided to be born the morning I was to take the test

So I have to wait another month or so to take the driving test
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

look at the good side - you have more time to practice now! Smile
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely Very Happy After this month - if you use it for practice - you will not have any problems passing the test.

Funny, my wife is about to give birth, too Smile
SeekingKarma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

hey congrats!! Girl or boy? Is this your first child?

Oh and I re-scheduled it for April 12th...wish me luck. I definitely have to get my wheel/tires aligned/balanced though. When I'm on a straightaway, the wheel fights me. My uncle says it has a lot of "play" in the wheel.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks. Smile

It's a girl, and it's my second girl and my fourth child.

I certainly am wishing you luck, and also wishing you get your front checked ASAP by someone who knows what he is doing. This may or may not be quite a dangerous condition to drive. Based on what you say your best bet is certainly to start with tire balance, and it is the cheapest to fix, too. However, there could be other problems, much more serious. Best of luck with this, too. Smile
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

SeekingKarma, I still remember how nervous I was a day before my driving test. When my instructor took me for a trial drive before the test, I made a million little mistakes and he almost asked me to cancel my test.

Only a week earlier, I thought I had almost perfected the maneuvers! But the anxiety of the approaching test was making me jittery and prone to errors. I realized then that it was basically a matter of nerves... and the only way to deal with that is to try and relax - and which in turn means, practicing even more!

So, till the last minute, I was at it - driving and practicing non stop every day those last two weeks before the test. Even on the day of the test, I went for a warm up session before, so that by the time the test started, I was already feeling quite in control.

I did make minor mistakes at the maneuvers, but I passed the very first time (which in UK is real hard!) but I think it was all down to seeming in control of your movements while driving - something that no book can teach - only practice can!

Wishing good karma your way Smile

View next topic
View previous topic