Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 50
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 50

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL I could not help but sharing this parallel parking mastery. Enjoy Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsK5C8m44JY
Astraist
Master Driver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Amazing! I understand that you see that he is in fact pushing the car behind him back and forth. Might as well push his way straight through in one go...

In the city of Paris this is a norm, where lack of parking spaces and the wide use of manual-transmission cars have made it acceptable to gently ram your way into a parking space. You can see a lot of scrapped bumpers in there...

By the way, many of the advanced driving trainers in my country deal with parking manuevers very seriously when training drivers, both because that when dealing with professional drivers in car fleets, such manuevers result in small collisions that add up to a lot of lost money to the car fleet and because that small collisions correlate with harder ones. Reduce one and you reduce the other.

A few tip offs by the way:

1. "Don't Reverse": Don't reverse unless you must, don't reverse beyond what you must, and don't reverse later than you must. (i.e. back INTO spaces so you can drive straight out of them)

2. "Choose wisely" - Look for a comfortable, easy-squeeze parking space which you can enter and exit while driving forward. Also prefer a "protected" space with a wall/poll near at least one side of the car. If it's within 500 feet radius from your destination is reasonable.

3. "Train Routine" - Close the phone, radio and stop any chattering in the car. Open up the driver's side window, and focus entirely on the backing manuever.

4. "Gather Information" - Readjust the mirrors to give you a better view for the parking manuever. Use the mirrors instead of leaning over, but also take peeks around BOTH shoulders for more information, and even a peek around your shoulder and out your window for more. You can even use reflections of the car's shadow or in puddles/glass windows or other cars. The more information - the better!

5. "Get out of the car" - It's ALWAYS a good idea to get out of the car and have a walk around to see for yourself. An assistance from a passenger or another person is also desired.

6. "Do Shove your nose" - Push your front around and into the tight space between yourself and the car in front, rather than push the rump of your car into the tight space.

7. "Drive a Forklift": Remember that, in reverse, the car moves like a forklift. It reacts to steering inputs in delay, but than turns very sharply, in an arch rather than in a simple radial route.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I've been to Paris Smile Though I would think this is a bit too much even for Paris - though I can be wrong of course. Smile
georgiamiller

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Parallel parking is also the hardest part of driving for me.

*link snipped*

View next topic
View previous topic