Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 46
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 46

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Owene

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Misha wrote:
Buying you own car was a tricky problem back then in the Soviet Union. Cars cost starting from three years worth of average salary, and they were not available freely. One had to be on waiting list for years to get an opportunity to buy a new Russian-made car. And no import whatsoever. So I was driving a motorbike and used my father’s car occasionally.

Then “perestroika” came, and by the end of it we found ourselves surrounded by cheap Japanese second hand import. Pure JDM, right hand steering. Those cars, being mainly 5 to 10 years old, were still a next generation cars comparing to new Russian ones. And they were cheaper.

By that time I had a decent job, and I started to look for the car for my family. I liked Honda City, they were cute little wagons with turboed 1.3L engine, and they were dirt cheap. I looked at many, some were really decent cars, but somehow I just could not pull the trigger. Once the seller suggested I look at the Civic he had. Man, I fell in love with this JDM Si at the first glance, no matter it was twice as expensive. They cheated on me dearly, this was 84’, and I bought it as 90’, and I still think it was worth it.

This car served me for many years to come, it became a friend and a family member. It never broke on me when I needed it. I finally sold it, long after I moved to US, when its heavily rusted body started to fall apart - Moscow winters are really harsh on cars. And other than rusted body, all the rest worked fine, except rusted A/C. This is not to say I did not do anything to this car. I did, and I did quite a few things, but they were either normal for the age (like brake pads or clutch replacement), or caused by my ignorance or negligence.

It had about 100K miles on odometer when I bought it, but I think this was cheating, too. With all my current experience with Hondas I would say it had at least 150-180K miles at the moment I bought it. And I drove it for another 80K.

This is the car I have on my avatar, I took a picture on the day I sold it.

This is very nice post thanks for sharing this great post.
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Fun And Safe Driving Owene. Thank you for joining the forum. Smile
James98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mehran is a fabulous car no doubt. But I have failed to understand why the comfort has not been improved in this car which has been selling in Pakistan market like hot cakes. Safety belts, I think it should be essential for every car. Although I have failed to understand why safety seat belts in all models of Mehran has not been introduced. Having no safety seat belts is a safety hazard.
The design and shape of Seats (specially front seats) must be improved because they are not at all comfortable and one really gets tired on long routes.
Anyways I hope the relevant authorities will take these things into consideration and improve the safety & comfort of this car which is selling like hot cakes in a third world country like Pakistan. I think those who made this car successful,they deserve to have more comfort and safety.
Thanks.
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Fun And Safe Driving James. Thank you for joining the forums Smile

Yes, I completely agree - it is in fact unimaginable that they would make cars without seat belts these days. The company can get sued for this, no?

View next topic
View previous topic