Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 53
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 53

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
charn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

In my first year of driving, I drove to Ann Arbor at night. I was following my friends in another car. My guide was a set of taillights that I eventually realized were the wrong taillights. I drove around somewhat randomly looking for a sign with something like "Downtown Ann Arbor, thataway." I was undecided about taking a freeway exit at a particular sign. I took the exit, but too late and too fast. The off ramp was also an on ramp with cars lined up. I hit the brakes and turned hard. I spun around a few times, which made a disco lighting effect with the headlights. It was a novel experience to spin on a dime instead of skidding away. The people in the cars lined up there were probably more scared than I was. When I stopped spinning, I had to do some maneuvering to get the car pointed in the right direction. Later I stopped at a gas station and asked for directions.
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy

LOL I should probably give you detailed instructions on how to have prevented that um, stunt, shall we call it? But all I can do is to laugh here....!

I swear, nothing beats experience on the road! Wink
charn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What are your detailed instructions? It was over before I had time to be scared or think of other options. All I can think of now is drifting, if that can be done accurately with front wheel drive, but that doesn't look like much of an option at night on a turn I haven't seen before. Taking an exit too late is a mistake I haven't repeated, so that was a lesson learned well enough.
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL!

My instructions were more to do with preventing the stunt, rather than helping you execute it with more skill! Wink

I meant, more like investing in a good road map, or sat nav, avoiding traveling very late at night, planning the journey ahead etc etc...
DaughterOfEve

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That is why maps are important while heading somewhere you have never been. Did you not see the sign for the ramp? That sounds like a very dangerous situation you were put in. You could have been seriously hurt or worst.
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you find yourself in the situation of missing your exit or a turn on city streets it is almost always safer for yourself and others who might be involved to pass the exit/turn. Although this may involve a few minutes or possibly much more to return to the exit/turn it is the only safe way to go.
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
If you find yourself in the situation of missing your exit or a turn on city streets it is almost always safer for yourself and others who might be involved to pass the exit/turn. Although this may involve a few minutes or possibly much more to return to the exit/turn it is the only safe way to go.

I agree. Besides, what with SatNavs these days, it's getting easier to stay focused on the road while finding your way around Smile

Nothing more dangerous though than missing your turn/exit, stepping hard on the brake and trying to swerve out of one lane into another!
Astraist
Master Driver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's just another problem with tailgating. Especially when visibility is poor, people tend to follow close to keep behind the tail lights of the driver in front. Often they follow the wrong set of tail lights or follow the lead car off course. It's better to keep your distance and use the lights inteligently, whether low beams, fog beams or even "high" beams are appropriate.

Navigation stictly via SatNav is just as bad, and has other disadvantages as well, but a few pieces of advice can really help using it:

1. Operate the SatNav/GPS only when at a standstill.

2. Use "night-vision" mode in the dark

3. Place the device in a stable fashion on the lower-left corner of the windscreen, or even in one of the storage cells. This will ensure that it does not interfere with your view of the road and won't fly around in a collision

4. Know your route or plan it in advance, so the SatNav only helps you, not guides you.
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Number one: Use 'Sat Nav' when parked just like an ancient road map. If you are trying to use either one on the move your eyes are not on the road. This is an invitation to disaster. If you are focused on a map or nav screen you are not focused on driving the vehicle. What was always preached in military aviation was remember your primary function is to fly the aircraft! The same thing applies. Your main function is to drive the vehicle and be aware of what you are doing and what other drivers are doing and might do.

View next topic
View previous topic