Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 49
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 49

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
alfie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

This is my first post and I have question about driving when tired...

Just wondered what everyone thinks, here goes:

I do a lot of driving for my friends business and there are usually five of us in the car. We tend to drive through the night and it can be very tiring. There are only two of us insured on the car (myself and my friend) and my friend insists that whilst one of us is driving the other has to stay awake and not sleep. His argument is that, if you have a kip whilst not driving then wake up you wont be awake enough to drive.

If i do fall asleep while not driving he will refuse to let me drive when it should be my turn!

Is there any truth in this or is it better to try and get a sleep in while not driving.

Sorry for a slightly odd question...

Thanks

A
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Based on my experience, your friend is very wrong. Nothing is comparable to just 20 minutes nap to relieve the sleepiness. If you drive alone, pulling over and letting yourself to nap is the only reliable way to deal with sleepiness. If you have a spare driver like in your case, one is driving and the other is sleeping - this is the best way. Ask truckers...

What your friend does is very dangerous, and you guys are just asking for trouble that certainly will come likely sooner than later...

Oh, welcome to FASD Smile
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Fasd alfie. Nice to meet you!

I agree, I think its wisest to pull over for a bit and just take a rest/break. Or one driver should be able to catch up on sleep - say, for a set amount of time - while the other drives. And then you can alternate as you go.

Or you could simply stop for a steaming cup of black coffee instead! Smile
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nah MOW, I disagree. Coffee helps to a point, but it fails you later. There is no substitute to a nap. Smile
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lol I know, was just being naughty there! Yes, alfie, pull over and go for the nap....!
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Naughty girl! Very Happy
donaldX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

All of us know that driving after a few too many is a really, really poor choice. But how many hesitate to get in the driver's seat when they are experiencing a cold or flu? A new study suggests that individuals who drive while they are sick are just as impaired as those who drive affected by alcohol or narcotics. Now, that cold and flu season is upon us, many of us go to the drugstore for relief. We must consider that many of these medications contain antihistamine. This drug can severely impair a person’s ability to drive a motor vehicle. We need to remember that most antihistamines temporarily affect certain receptors in the brain, causing drowsiness. Driving under the influence of antihistamine is not only dangerous but also illegal especially if it is impairing the ability to drive.

*link snipped
Astraist
Master Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The idea of keeping the passenger besides the driver awake, is for him to use as a second pair of eyes, which can be so very much important in keeping them alert and awake, as well as helping them with driving and mainly, dealing with whatever takes place inside the cabin, for the driver.

However, if you do swap driving sessions (and it is recommended that you do so), it is not a good idea for the other driver to be the one which is awake. If there are five of you, have a none-driver remain awake and by your side, while the other driver sleeps.

A person sleeping will wake up fresh if he did not sleep too much or too little, as to wake up in the middle of a "sleep cycle" which can be once each two hours or five hours. After getting up, a quick minute of gathering one's wits and maybe moving a bit, having a bit of drink and food, will help them achieve full awakeness.

Quote:
ho drive while they are sick are just as impaired as those who drive affected by alcohol or narcotics.

Indeed they are! Don't drive when sick or under the effect of medication. Even seemingly harmless medication like cough remedies and anti-congestants can have a bad effect on driving. Consult the pharmicist/doctor!
mirb7000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yeah if you need to pull over and rest, then do it. It will prevent you or at worst lower the odds a lot of you having an accident due to being tired or unwell.

View next topic
View previous topic