Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 27
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 27

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
yuka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How did you learn to be a defensive driver?
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

By trial and error. And it took a lot of both, I mean A LOT Very Happy

Last edited by Misha on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
cloudycandyx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

By driving on the same road as angry, crazy people who don't know what the term "right of way" means Smile You figure it out pretty quickly.
kyunnie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Avoid distractions. While driving, don’t eat, drink, and talk on the phone, turn around to fiddle with something in the back seat, or change the song that’s playing. Don’t trust other drivers to obey the rules of the road. You can’t assume that the other guy is going to stop just because you have the right of way. To practiced technical skills, drivers can reduce the risk of accidents by adopting a defensive mind-set. By following a set of general, common sense rules, *link snipped* anticipate possible dangers and adjust their actions to avoid them.
Astraist
Master Driver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I learned to be an advanced driver (a field in which I also instruct) throughout training that began in an advanced driving day in my country. It was a comprehensive day that included many aspects of advanced driving:

- Understanding car dynamics: What makes a car grip, what makes it slide, how will it slide in different situation and what would be the results.

- Car maintainenece: Mainly tires and tire pressures.

- Adjusting the seat: To allow maximum control of the car and maximum safety in a collision

- Adjusting the mirrors: So that almost all effective blindspots besides the car dissappear.

- Gripping and turning the wheel: In methods taken from rallying

- Looking up: To anticipate hazards

- Making emergency stops: With and without ABS, on various surfaces, changing surfaces and while combining steering manuevers or turning, and elements of surprise.

- Controling a car at the limit: Avoiding, sensing and recovering from skids as they occur, both in the driver's own car and in a special SkidCar. Initiating skids by use of weight transfers or the handbrake. Steering the car on the throttle, etc...

- Going off-road: Letting two wheels of the car slip down to the gravel shoulder and working on a clean recovery and on performing emergency stops when two wheels are on the gravel (split grip).

I progressed in the field and did training with experts in winding mountain roads, off-seas racetracks, open gravel surfaces, empty lots, etc...All to become a small-time instructor by myself.

As a trainer, but more so as a student, I do NOT believe in trail and error. We have a sentence: "Trail and error, error and failure." To compare driving to (other) sports. try and have someone learn swimming by trail and error and you will find that he will manage to float, splash a bit of water and move somewhat in the water, but he will not acquire the technique nessecary.

During my training, I have been exposed to various methods and schools of thought in driving and instructing, as well as to many great people in the realm of racing and advanced driving, mostly from my country. We work to improve the driving culture in Israel and reduce collision rates, and we seem to do it preety well too!

I always recommend going through this type of instruction. Over time, I worked hard on collecting and comparing driving styles from various advanced driving schools all over the world. There are tuitions like the one I did everywhere and I suggest passing one.

View next topic
View previous topic