Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 52
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 52

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Brobee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

First of all, Hello to all.

I'm not sure if its rare or what ever, but i can't seem to master parking. No, not parallel parking, i can do that fine, but parking between 2 cars at the shops etc. I either get to close to the car on one side, or can't make it all together. The car i drive is Holden VT Commodore, if it means anything.

I'm in Australia and we have 120 hours practice minimum which i have done. I can do everything fine, but parking gets me. What techniques do you use to ensure you park between 2 cars in a car park/parking lot.
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

welcome to Fasd! Parking, esp. reverse parking needs a lot of practice to master. How long have you been driving for?

Surely, you must be better than this person btw...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTKFaBvW6oc&feature=related

Wink
Brobee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Haha yeah, I'm not as bad as that.

I've been driving for about 3 months and clocked up over 120 hours, i just never really parked until i had to. I think it might by psychological if anything. I'm scared of hitting other cars. When there is no cars either side i can do it fine. I change my technique when there is other cars around and i don't think i need to, i think the way i park without cars is fine and will work when there is cars around.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Brobee wrote:
Haha yeah, I'm not as bad as that.

I've been driving for about 3 months and clocked up over 120 hours, i just never really parked until i had to. I think it might by psychological if anything. I'm scared of hitting other cars. When there is no cars either side i can do it fine. I change my technique when there is other cars around and i don't think i need to, i think the way i park without cars is fine and will work when there is cars around.
Hi Brobee,

And welcome to fun and Safe Driving!

Based on what you wrote your problem seems to be related more to psychology than to a lack of knowledge. i think practice is your friend. Start with cones. You set cones not only at the corners, but all the way along the lines like a foot apart. This will pretty good imitate parked cars. Practice until you get confident you are not going to hit any cone. Then you are ready to try it on the real parking. Good luck!
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to share my theory concerning this problem. My example is not a fear of parking but is closely related. I am not claiming that a semester of psychology 101 qualifies me in any way. Sometimes repeated observation can lead one to an obvious conclusion. I agree this involves psychology and knowledge. In this case I would like to call it "psychology overpowering knowledge". The driver knows they possess the skill to successfully complete the task but visual cues and a psychological lack of confidence convince the driver that they are likely to fail. My example involves drivers who I am confident have little or no problem pulling into and backing out of an 8 ft wide parking space. Pulling into and backing out of an 8 ft wide garage opening. Even driving in the city along a 12 ft wide lane with parked vehicles on one side and vehicles traveling in an adjacent lane in the same direction. When these same drivers are faced with an oncoming vehicle on a residential street with vehicles parked on both sides and a 20 to 24 ft wide driving space they freeze. I really don't know if this is the same problem as Brobee's or if they are completely intimidated by the oncoming vehicle.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After giving it some thought I believe this is a different case. Your guys feel confident while their fate depends only on their skills, and lose the confidence if the other person with unknown level of skill is involved. This would be a trust problem I guess. Smile
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Misha wrote:
After giving it some thought I believe this is a different case. Your guys feel confident while their fate depends only on their skills, and lose the confidence if the other person with unknown level of skill is involved. This would be a trust problem I guess. Smile

Misha, I did consider this and I think you are correct. I had a minor incident when a Jeep grand cherokee forced me close enough to parked cars that I barely "kissed" a parked car's mirror with mine. I stopped and checked for damage and there was none. I don't understand why the Jeep needed 6 ft of clearance between parked vehicles on their side. I would suggest that Brobee use the "crawl, walk, run method. Find an empty parking lot and practice parking in a space with no vehicles on either side. After parking shut his vehicle down and doing a walk around judging centering/angle of his vehicle in the space. When he is satisfied with his skills, move to the cones. When confident, graduate to actual spaces with real vehicles.
newbielearner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
I would like to share my theory concerning this problem. My example is not a fear of parking but is closely related. I am not claiming that a semester of psychology 101 qualifies me in any way. Sometimes repeated observation can lead one to an obvious conclusion. I agree this involves psychology and knowledge. In this case I would like to call it "psychology overpowering knowledge". The driver knows they possess the skill to successfully complete the task but visual cues and a psychological lack of confidence convince the driver that they are likely to fail. My example involves drivers who I am confident have little or no problem pulling into and backing out of an 8 ft wide parking space. Pulling into and backing out of an 8 ft wide garage opening. Even driving in the city along a 12 ft wide lane with parked vehicles on one side and vehicles traveling in an adjacent lane in the same direction. When these same drivers are faced with an oncoming vehicle on a residential street with vehicles parked on both sides and a 20 to 24 ft wide driving space they freeze. I really don't know if this is the same problem as Brobee's or if they are completely intimidated by the oncoming vehicle.

"Psychology overpowering knowledge - driver knows they possess the skill to successfully complete the task but visual cues and a psychological lack of confidence convince the driver that they are likely to fail." >>> Story of my life!

I am beginning to think driving IS actually more about psychology than mere skill.

I failed my first driving test even though I felt I had mastered the skills/techniques etc, but the confidence (that only comes with practice) was clearly lacking. In my test, whatever the instructor asked me to do, I just would freeze up cause I couldn't get myself to relax enough mentally. So, I'm definitely a believer in psychology over skill. Actually, both are needed to make a good driver I guess! Shocked
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

newbielearner wrote:
I am beginning to think driving IS actually more about psychology than mere skill.

I think you are absolutely right here. The lack of any advanced skill in most cases can be overcome by sound judgement, which will not let you to get into the situations that require such a skill. Smile

View next topic
View previous topic