Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 50
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 50

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
jnestor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In order to be courteous to a fellow human being, we first have to be aware of them… to acknowledge them… isn’t that true? The dictionary uses the locution “consideration toward others” to depict politeness.

Let’s excogitate this for a moment, shall we? The more you march on towards being a master driver, the easier it is to discover that the common property of defensive driving is your knowing of what’s happening outside your truck.

Most all the issues, minus one, that can transform one into a negligent driver revolve around events within the vehicle. Cell phone calls, talking to passengers, and writing text messages, enjoying music… all this stuff is what distracts you from concentrating on road situation.

The other constituent here is your mind-set. Think about it, if you are displeased about something, a car is not the best spot to be and you should be self-aware enough to adjust your manner of driving till you chill out, or not drive at all. Your measure should always be politeness.

If you are courteous then a bunch of good things are happening in that processor in your brainpan. When you are courteous, you are focusing on what’s outside. You are also paying attention to fellow drivers' demands, which is as decent as it gets. There are dozens of occasions on the routine journey around town to be nice to fellow drivers. They may not invariably discover your courtesy, but they usually do. In my long experience those limited benignities you donate to complete strangers usually get returned to you by other complete strangers as if by magic… kind of cool actually. You suddenly find drivers letting you into tight spaces when earlier they behaved like dorks… magic I tell you.

If you will just risk to be as respectful as possible to fellow drivers for five days, I call you will be pleasantly surprised. It actually switches your whole view on driving while at the same time clearly identifying you as a real crackerjack. Who among us doesn’t desire to be a crackerjack?

What winds up happening, is that you before long find yourself chasing chances to give the other guy a break, which makes you feeling good about yourself. It also focuses you… pay attention here… focuses you beyond the bubble in your car. You are concentrating on what’s happening out there much more, when you risk to be courteous to fellow drivers.

This limited practice in human relations 101 can change you from a mediocre driver to an excellent one in no time flat. So… you if you seek to be a better driver, it is easy… just cut the other guy some slack. Even if they don’t recognize it, you will be a better person and a safer driver for doing it.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Joshua,

I agree absolutely! Thing that strikes me most in your observation is that being polite *automatically* makes you being aware of your surroundings - and this alone immediately increases your safety tenfold...
dfunzy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is good. I know the core advice: to stay aware of your surroundings, to be courteous to others and not be self-centered works where ever and what ever a person is doing, driving or working among co-workers on a job or in an office setting.
arun
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thats correct. Staying aware of the surroundings certainly helps you to analyze in what the situation you are in. It helps you to stay focussed also.
Julianna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

There was a time when I was not always polite but after living in California for so long and then moving back to Arizona I realized that courtesy was the best way to prevent road rage. As I grew older I learned to just remain calm and move with the flow, if only others would do that. Smile
dfunzy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Julianna wrote:
There was a time when I was not always polite but after living in California for so long and then moving back to Arizona I realized that courtesy was the best way to prevent road rage. As I grew older I learned to just remain calm and move with the flow, if only others would do that. Smile

Age and experience are the best teachers.
tony12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Adapting to the surrounding always helps you in every situation you get into. Car driving is not the exceptional. When you drive rash then you get noticed and criticised
chiefjohn

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with you guys. I consider myself to be a rehabilitated road rage driver and eventually realized it was only hurting myself. Now when someone cuts me off or does something inconsiderate, I tell myself they didn't mean to, it was a mistake, and it wasn't personal. Even though I know sometimes people are deliberate jerks, it's better to give them the benefit of the doubt and get to where I'm going without being angry about things I can't control.
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Chief, you said it perfectly. Yes, not to take it personally, and knowing there is no control over how others behave (or misbehave rather) is the key!

I have do admit though, I do fix them with a 'stare' - you know one of those if looks could kill kind - and then move on! Wink
chiefjohn

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

myownworld wrote:
Chief, you said it perfectly. Yes, not to take it personally, and knowing there is no control over how others behave (or misbehave rather) is the key!

I have do admit though, I do fix them with a 'stare' - you know one of those if looks could kill kind - and then move on! Wink

Haha, that's great...for some reason, when I try that they usually just flip me the bird! I think I need to work on my intimidation skills Twisted Evil
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy Well, being a woman always helps...! But you still have to master the art of that 'cool' look first. Fine line between looking ridiculous and plain vicious! Do practice infront of the mirror....am sure it'll help! Wink
chiefjohn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I could try that...or How about if I drive one of these?

[img]http://browningmgs.com/Images_1919A4/Brownings/1895&Car.jpg[/img]
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

chiefjohn wrote:
I could try that...or How about if I drive one of these?

[img]http://browningmgs.com/Images_1919A4/Brownings/1895&Car.jpg[/img]
Chiefjohn, I am sorry, but for some reason my site does not properly process this image URL. Another reason may be the original site disabled embedding of the images.

The only way to see the image is to actually follow the url http://browningmgs.com/Images_1919A4/Brownings/1895&Car.jpg

And welcome to my site btw! Smile I was not around the last several days, but I see MOW welcomed you quite warmly Smile
chiefjohn

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to meet you Misha! And thanks for the tip...I will just put the URL from now on.

Your web site is quite excellent, I am enjoying it a lot! Smile

View next topic
View previous topic