Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 47
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 47

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am 15, and turn 16 in may. Im kina one of those weirdo kids who acts like he's on beta blockers all the time. I don't really let emotions get in the way.

Now, on to the point: I do not have my permit yet, nor my license. Should I get my permit and move onto my license? Should I wait until my decision-making part of my brain develops? I have driven before at my parents urging (odd eh? Parents asking the kid to drive...) and have done fine. I never really went through the 'parking lot' stage of driving or anything, just hopped right in and did perfectly in traffic.

The danger of that aside, when exactly should I get my license? I want serious answers please, and reasons to back up the answers. Things I would like to take into account are cost, convenience, the 'is it worth it' factor, danger / risk involved and general tips and such.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No responses? Anyone? Neutral
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Chris...welcome here!

There are different laws specific to each country but in UK you cannot drive unless you hold a valid, provisional driving licence and in order to have one, you need to be at least 17 to sit for a driving test (although you can apply for your provisional licence up to 3 months before your 17th birthday)

Also, you have to make sure that any vehicle you drive is roadworthy, properly taxed and insured.

Which country exactly are you living in?
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

USA
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Legal age to drive in America depends on the State you live in – i.e. each state has it’s own laws regarding age, licence etc. Generally it’s 18, however in some States, it’s much younger. E.g. in Michigan 16 is the legal age for driving (with parental consent i.e) whereas in new jersey it’s not.
I guess, you just need to check the laws specific to your state and then see if you’re able to apply for a driving permit. You parents should be able to guide and help you with this.

Whatever you do, don't rush it. Get plenty of practice driving with an adult (over 21) first, before you apply for a test. Best of luck with it! Smile
andrewj27

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Chris...

In USA every state have different driving laws, including min. age to apply for learners permit, regarding driving education, behind the wheel training below is the link which is having the good information about every state & min. age to get permit, i hope it may useful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27s_license_in_the_United_States

and more over driving never be came by just reading course material or so... just it's need more practice and experience so try to do as much as practice you can
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you andrew for the information...and welcome here! I'm sure Chris will find it useful. I agree with you that it's all about practice, the hardest part actually convincing an experienced adult to go with you regularly for driving practice! (I still remember the awful fights I got into when I used to go with my older brother!! Rolling Eyes )

Anyway, I'm hoping Chris will update us on the latest situation.... Smile
SafeTraveler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps you should wonder why you need a license to drive when you have a right to travel. See this link for more info: http://www.apfn.org/apfn/travel.htm If that doesn't bother you, then you might as well get one as soon as you can. It gives you legal permission to "drive" to your friends' houses and job sites. However, if you live in an area with a mass-transit system (trains and buses that can take you anywhere you need to go), then you have a way around the whole rights issue.

In regards to "cost, convenience, the 'is it worth it' factor, danger / risk involved and general tips and such":

• Cost: I forget exactly how much I paid, but the license costs about $35 every four years for renewal.
  • Convenience: (Aside from the inconvenience of waiving your right to travel) Most places that require age verification or picture identification accept the drivers license as proof, so it can be convenient for that.
  • 'is it worth it': It is only worth it if you expect to get stopped by a police officer who will require one, or if you need to rent a vehicle (because they require one).
  • danger/risk: Not much danger in of itself, except that it legally allows you to be on the road with aggressive drivers.
  • general tips: Learn how to be a defensive driver.
shauna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

You should follow the law carefully to get your license and it is strict in US. Please be patient and there is an age to apply for license and it is 18 here. If you are 18 apply for learner's first. Then take the actual license.
yuka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When is it legal to get a license in your state?
Mendy404

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think you should wait until you are 18 get license.That is much easy ans safe as well.

View next topic
View previous topic