Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 60
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 60

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Discussion thread for Braking into a pothole article
arun
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Driving the car safely through a pothole have to be done with little concentration, always while driving see the potholes and when approaching it just apply slight brake and see to it the Car's under parts doesnt get damaged.
IzzyM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting stuff Misha. This I did not know.
When I was taxiing, there were so many bloody potholes all over the place, I think we just started ignoring them and not braking for them much. Only once in 20 years can I honestly say I suffered suspension damage due to them, and what you say may be be true, because it was a brand new 30K taxi and I was being ultra-careful, or thought I was.
dfunzy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I try to avoid streets that I know has pot holes. All pot holes can't be avoided. When I do spot a pothole ahead, I know it is time to drive
slowly, to lessen the impact that driving over a pot hole has on the car. The harder the pothole is hit, the more damage it does to a car.
IzzyM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Crikes..you'd be hard pushed to find a street in Glasgow that doesn't have potholes. I think the 30mph limit is put in place because of them! Half the time there are more potholes than tarmac on the roads. I've heard it isn't any better nowadays.
dfunzy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hear you. This is the season for potholes. Snow, ice, then thaw. Lack of money to keep the streets repaired. Pot holes burst up everywhere, like little and not so little road monsters, ready to snare motorists. What can we do? Keep the tires in good condition, drive carefully, and look out for the pot holes, and if we hit a bad one, get the car checked.
sindhu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The spring thaw brings beautiful days and the hope for warmer weather soon to come in cold snowy areas of the country. This annual change in the climate also brings with it the dreaded potholes on the road. These are not only dangerous but if you are unfortunate enough to hit a bad one you will soon find out how damaging and costly they can be. By following a few defensive driving techniques along with some common sense and paying closer attention to the road, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars in damage to your car along with a lot of aggravation.
http://i.ehow.co.uk/images/a04/j4/rs/avoid-hitting-potholes-road-200X200.jpg
sriram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

During my commute to work, I inevitably drive over more than 10 pot holes each way. While a few of them are small, most of them are quite large and create for a very bumpy and uncomfortable ride to work.

Most potholes are caused when relentless freezing and thawing weakens the road and causes large cracks which eventually turn into potholes. Cities like Chicago or Minneapolis that have particularly harsh winters often tend to have more potholes.

So if you live in a city with lots of potholes, here are a few driving safety tips:

Always maintain the proper air pressure in your tires
Leave plenty of room in front of your vehicle so you can avoid potholes without getting into an accident
If you can’t avoid a pothole, slow down. But don’t break directly over a pothole which can actually cause more damage
When driving over the pothole, hold the steering wheel firmly to avoid losing control
Don’t drive over a puddle of water because it might be a particularly deep pothole in hiding
Remedith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

amazing article. Few months ago, i was on a city road and behind me there was a car closer than 3 meters... ( this means that in case of hard braking there a big chance he will slam me) . Suddenly i saw a big pothole ahead of me and i just run over it with the clutch pressed down... What do you suggest in that situation if you already have a certain speed? Speed up or go like this?
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Remedith wrote:
amazing article. Few months ago, i was on a city road and behind me there was a car closer than 3 meters... ( this means that in case of hard braking there a big chance he will slam me) . Suddenly i saw a big pothole ahead of me and i just run over it with the clutch pressed down... What do you suggest in that situation if you already have a certain speed? Speed up or go like this?
Well, it's the same physics really. You want to transfer as much load as you can from your front axle - so you want to accelerate hard. At the same time, you want the lowest speed you can - so you start accelerating just the moment before you hit a pothole. Smile
Remedith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

it will be intresting to see the result next time i see a pothole while i'm doing 70 km/h :p
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL I think I covered that kind of a situation here http://www.funandsafedriving.com/ftopict-86.html . Smile
wertz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Never hit the path hole at speeds greater than 20miles per hour. There are greater chance that you damage your car. so just apply brakes before the path hole and drive safely.
sriram

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah before crossing the potholes ensure that you are driving in 1st or 2nd gear.
ritz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Never hit the path hole directly at high speed which may damage your axil for low body cars if the path hole is deep. Rather slow down.

View next topic
View previous topic