Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 50
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 50

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Grenade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm currently driving a 2003 nissan xterra with 47,000 on her. Its my first car, and I think that I have tolerated it for too long. It is just too damn slow. Yesterday on a casual drive to go snowboarding, I barley exceded 60-65mph on the highway purly because, by the time I got it go 65 i'd have to slow down or something else, and it would take another 30 seconds to gain the 8 miles an hour or so back to 65. I beleive that I spend most of my time accelerating, thus wasting gas. Also in semi twistie, hillie country roads no more than 30mph could be reached with the car almost floored. I think I have decided to sel lthe car, and I am in the market for something else. I should be able to get about 15,000 for it. I was thinkin about going smaller, because I will be traveling to school for the next 4 years. I do surf, and I also snowboard, and would like to be able to fit a few friends in the car. So i've thought about getting a 2002 or 2003 Volkswagen Gti VR6 or 1.8t I like the hatch back sort of deal, and I could always throw roof racks on it. Any thoughts. Also I'm ashamed to say, I dont know how to drive a 5-speed, I know I know I'm young, but still have time to learn. Thanks for the imput guys!
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not that I have any direct experience with VW, but based what I randomly read on different forums and based on what I hear from my neighbors who have Tuareg and Passat, I would advise against it. Quality seems to be terrible.

There are really lots of hatches in your price range, and some of them are pretty cool and quick. Mazda 3, Honda Civic Si, Toyota Matrix - just to name a few. Or Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus - if you are into domestic. For lots of reviews and comparisons on every car in existence try to go to Edmunds.com
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

1995 honda civic CX hatchback, $1500
rebuilt and turbo'd GSR engine, $8000
300 hp at 2200 pounds, priceless

Very Happy

btw, you'd have to learn to drive stick and most likely find smaller friends. But you'd have the prettiest car ever.

My mother in law drives a VW Jetta and loves it. I've heard the same mixed reviews of the reliability but I've also heard that there are good years and bad years, so a bit of research should set you strait. If you're not set on the hatch thing though, test drive a V6 honda accord. they have guts, are pretty safe, and quite reliable.
apaleorange

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

It all depends on which generation VW you get.

I have an 07 rabbit with 65,000 miles. A lot of my driving time is city driving, and brakes and tires are the only repairs that it has needed. Plus, It's a much more solid feeling car and has more power(5 cyl) than the others in its price range.

I also had a 98 Jetta automatic that was for the most part a good car, but it needed a transmission rebuild at 150,000 miles(not bad) and the ignition coil cracked around the same time. it also had a bunch of other quirks such as the side moldings falling off annually, exhaust rusting out and needing replaced twice.

the MK III (94-99) and MK IV (99.5-2005) seem to be real hit or miss with reliability. They're great cars to drive, though if you can find one that's been well maintained and already had most of the trouble spots addressed, I would go for it.
arun
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

VW is definitely the better off. It has high speed and acceleration in traffic and you wont experience any tiredness and feel the joy of the ride.

View next topic
View previous topic