Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 52
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 52

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
dfunzy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

IzzyM's story about the lady driver who lacked confidence in overtaking, reminded me of an old friend who lacked confidence when it came to parallel parking. She drove around, sometimes for over an hour, passing parking spots, looking for that perfect spot for her to park These spots were always as large as a foot ball field. Well, almost. And of course, they were blocks from her destination.

Popular culture is filled with jokes about lady drivers. YouTube has tons of funny videos on the subject. One of the funniest is found at this url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vH8d-FXOS4

My parallel parking skill-challenged friend may sound like a stereotype, but is a real person. However, her case is an anecdote, not proof that women are inferior drivers. The facts are the lady drivers on a whole are better drivers than men. According to .government and auto insurance statistics men are the worse drivers. Men break more traffic laws than women. cause more accidents, drive more when drunk, and cause more traffic deaths. (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/worse-drivers-males-or-females.aspx)
suziecat7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This lady driver is a great driver. I am not a dare devil (which gets you men in trouble) but not a wimp on the highway either. Gender has nothing to do with stupid driving. Loved the video, by the way.
Razz
dfunzy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree gender has nothing to do with stupid drivers. Just so happens that stats show there are more gents acting stupider on the road than ladies. A lot more gents.
sindhu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Female drivers have advantages in insurance policies compared to males

YLD female car insurance motor policies have all the features that women drivers appreciate and demand including 24/7 motor claims assistance and opportunities for young women drivers to start building their own personal no claims bonuses / discounts on their first policy.

YLD is a women only car insurance company and we only offer our motor policies to the female driver. Insurance cover is quick and easy; choose for our 6 month female car insurance or our 12 month female driver motor policy.
dfunzy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Most insurance companies classify female drivers as a lower risk and therefore the insurance rates that are offered to them tend to be lower.
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lol...the only edge I have as a female driver is when I'm trying to make my way from a side lane onto the main road - most men give way easily, esp. if you give a big smile! Wink
SaabLover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with suzie. I'm a good driver. I don't do stupid, impulsive things. Like most things in life, at least from my perspective, most driving decisions have a certain logic.
dfunzy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SaabLover wrote:
I'm with suzie. I'm a good driver. I don't do stupid, impulsive things. Like most things in life, at least from my perspective, most driving decisions have a certain logic.

The stats show that most women drivers do drive safe. And when the stats for woman and men drivers are compared, women drivers have the fewer accidents.
sindhu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

That is because women drive slowly compared to men.. but They r really careful while driving
dfunzy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

sindhu wrote:
That is because women drive slowly compared to men.. but They r really careful while driving

The ladies don't need me to defend them. They can speak for themselves. The studies by insurance companies and the government shows that " men break more traffic laws and drive more dangerously than women. Because they violate laws designed to make the roads safer, men cause more accidents and expensive damage. (M)en are cited for reckless driving 3.41 more times than women. Reckless driving is considered one of the most serious traffic offenses by courts since it implies a disregard for the rights and safety of people or property." Men are cited for DUI, 3.09 more times than women, are cited for seat belt violations, 3.08 more times, for speeding, 1.75 more times, for failure to yield, 1.54 more times, for stop sign/signal violation, 1.53. Source cited: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=788126

These are group stats, not an indication of a single individual's driving abilities.
sindhu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Important news..Must read

A 36-year-old woman died after a crash on the Pennsylvania Turnpike Tuesday night, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office said.
Pennsylvania State Police said a sport utility vehicle was traveling in the wrong direction in the eastbound lanes at about 9:20 p.m. between the Harmar and Monroeville exits.
Andrea Baker, of Monroeville, was driving a Ford Escape when it struck a tractor-trailer. The SUV was sent flying into the air by the impact and then crashed into the side of a second tractor-trailer.
Baker was taken to Forbes Regional Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The head-on collision happened less than 2 miles from the Monroeville exit, but she was traveling away from Monroeville, investigators said.
Police said at least two cars passed her and called 911.
“I just can’t believe it because we were about eight cars back from the initial impact,” said witness Heather Lyle.
Channel 11 News drove to the Pennsylvania State Police barracks in Gibsonia to talk to investigators who are puzzled at how the victim could have been driving the wrong way on the turnpike.
"I don't know how this could happen. I don't know how anyone could get turned around on the turnpike with so many barriers and markings,” said Sgt. Jerry Boulding of the Pennsylvania State Police. “I just don't understand. I'm afraid we might never understand."
While police are puzzled by how this could have happened, Lyle said signs directing traffic onto the turnpike aren’t as clear at night as they are during the day.
“The signs are hard to read because they aren’t lit up,” Lyle said. “I can see how it could become confusing.
A child in the SUV was also hurt, police said. The child's name and condition have not been released.
The eastbound lanes reopened at about 5 a.m. Wednesday after workers cleaned up diesel fuel.
dfunzy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sindhu wrote:
IChannel 11 News drove to the Pennsylvania State Police barracks in Gibsonia to talk to investigators who are puzzled at how the victim could have been driving the wrong way on the turnpike.

This is a tragedy. I hope you aren't suggesting that she was driving the wrong way because she was a woman?
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

dfunzy wrote:
sindhu wrote:

The ladies don't need me to defend them. They can speak for themselves. The studies by insurance companies and the government shows that " men break more traffic laws and drive more dangerously than women. Because they violate laws designed to make the roads safer, men cause more accidents and expensive damage. (M)en are cited for reckless driving 3.41 more times than women. Reckless driving is considered one of the most serious traffic offenses by courts since it implies a disregard for the rights and safety of people or property." Men are cited for DUI, 3.09 more times than women, are cited for seat belt violations, 3.08 more times, for speeding, 1.75 more times, for failure to yield, 1.54 more times, for stop sign/signal violation, 1.53. Source cited: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=788126

These are group stats, not an indication of a single individual's driving abilities.

thanks for sharing this defunzy! Still...people continue to remark that women are such bad drivers....! I personally think gender has little to do with bad driving: poor concentration at a given time can make poor drivers of us, no matter what sex we are! Smile
dfunzy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

myownworld wrote:
[I personally think gender has little to do with bad driving: poor concentration at a given time can make poor drivers of us, no matter what sex we are! Smile

I agree.
sriram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Here are a few jokes and funny stories about women car drivers.

We bumped into some old friends yesterday, my wife was driving.

Nothing confuses a man more than a woman driver who does everything right.

My wife wanted a foreign convertible, so I bought her a rickshaw.

A traffic policeman stops a woman and asks to see her driving licence.
'Lady, it says here that you should be wearing glasses when driving.'
'Well,' replies the woman, 'I have contacts.'
'Lady, I don't care who you know, your still going to get a ticket.'

Wife: "There's trouble with the car. It has water in the carburetor."
Husband: "Water in the carburetor? That's ridiculous."
Wife: "I tell you the car has water in the carburetor."
Husband: "You don't even know what a carburetor is. Where's the car?"
Wife: "In the swimming pool."

Policeman: 'When I saw you coming round that bend I thought, "Forty-five at least".'
Woman motorist: 'Well, I always look older in this hat.'

View next topic
View previous topic