Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

 
Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Sitemap
· Video Library
 
Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 30
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 30
 

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver



Joined: Jul 15, 2012
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Another WTF bad driver last week. If I am travelling from the nearest city to my town I often use a 4 lane plus center turn lane highway (55mph). I was near the left turn which would put me on the 2 lane highway that would take me to my town so I had moved to the left lane. A giant pick-up (I will from now on refer to "giant pick-ups/SUVs as full size as they are now the norm here in the crazy USA) Pulled out from a business on my left. Normally this maneuver would place them in the center turn lane waiting for highway traffic to clear before entering the highway. They crossed the center turn lane and proceeded to occupy my lane at about 20mph! I could have dodged to the right lane and passed them except for the fact that most of these Idiots plan is to cross to the right lane allowing left lane traffic to pass. They did not do this! I braked heavily And did not hit them. They "accellerated" to 30mph and as we were at the left turn I assumed they were turning. No! They continued in the left (fast) lane at 30mph! I can think of no explanation for this behaviour.
View user's profile Send private message
Misha
Site Owner



Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Posts: 705
Location: McLean, VA, USA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We have the name for this back in Russia. Sounds something like "right of way due to the overwhelming mass difference" LOL.

Every now and then I run into such a "driver", though usually not that dramatic, your case is quite impressive. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
newbielearner
Active member
Active member



Joined: Mar 27, 2012
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
Another WTF bad driver last week. If I am travelling from the nearest city to my town I often use a 4 lane plus center turn lane highway (55mph). I was near the left turn which would put me on the 2 lane highway that would take me to my town so I had moved to the left lane. A giant pick-up (I will from now on refer to "giant pick-ups/SUVs as full size as they are now the norm here in the crazy USA) Pulled out from a business on my left. Normally this maneuver would place them in the center turn lane waiting for highway traffic to clear before entering the highway. They crossed the center turn lane and proceeded to occupy my lane at about 20mph! I could have dodged to the right lane and passed them except for the fact that most of these Idiots plan is to cross to the right lane allowing left lane traffic to pass. They did not do this! I braked heavily And did not hit them. They "accellerated" to 30mph and as we were at the left turn I assumed they were turning. No! They continued in the left (fast) lane at 30mph! I can think of no explanation for this behaviour.


I can think of an explanation mate: the SUV! That explains everything.

I never thought a car made such a difference to the way someone drives, but I swear to you, something about those huge pickups does your head in! No way!
View user's profile Send private message
Astraist
Master Driver



Joined: Mar 27, 2010
Posts: 209

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I also think that SUV's and pick-up trucks have a bad influence on driving culture. I always recommend a sedan, hatchback, station-van or any other kind of vehicle that suits the driver's ACTUAL needs, rather than his need to "show off" in his big vehicle.

SUV's usually don't have a larger interior space and often have poor dampening and a less than-ideal driving posture. They have bigger visibility limitations in driving and mainly when parking. They are harder to manuever and handle and are at a greater risk of sliding or rolling over and generally have longer braking distances in emergencies.

Bigger does not mean safer! A pick-up truck is usually a functional vehicle, intended for working use, so it's manufacturers usually do very little for the comfort and safety of the passengers - few airbags, if at all; lack of pretentioners, usually at the back seats; use of lap-only seatbelts and seatbelts that don't fit well or cannot be adjusted;lack of proper crumple zone planning and etc...

Even a big SUV or rig does not offer naturally better safety. It is custom to say that the safety benefit from a big and heavy vehicle is a none-positive one. That's because, in many collisions, the bigger weight plays no role in increasing the passengers' safety, namely when you hit an obstacle or roll over, in which case particularly - weight will even become a disadvantage.

Even in situations where the weight is playing for the benefit of your safety - it does so on the expense of whoever it is you are running into. This is unlike a car that is planned with good crumple zones, which not only reduce damage to the car's passengers, but also to whatever other road user that car hits!
View user's profile Send private message
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver



Joined: Jul 15, 2012
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yesterday I was driving at 25mph in a 25mph zone. I was signalling a right turn. A full size pick-up was head on with me signalling a left hand turn. They slowed and I assumed they were going to stop. I was starting my turn when they turned in front of me! I know that the bigger vehicle always has the "right of way". I braked hard and avoided them. It appeared to me that the 4 door pick-up was filled with mid twenties "hippster douchnozzles". Who tend to beleive they are superior to the rest of us. After almost hitting me they continued on a 35mph road a about 70mph! They are so smart that they purchase a full size Pick-up/Suv for $40,000 to $50,000, pay $1,000 to $2,000 to jack it up. Pay $2,000 for the giant wheels. Pay another $2,000 for the giant tires. Pay for 12mpg fuel mileage. Then use this vehicle that is appropriate for a farm or ranch to drive to work at the office or to the grocery store. They think they are geniuses! It has become some sort of bizzare status symbol. They could buy a small sedan which would serve their purposes for about $16,000. Sorry. It would have no status, only intellegence.
View user's profile Send private message
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver



Joined: Jul 15, 2012
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
Yesterday I was driving at 25mph in a 25mph zone. I was signalling a right turn. A full size pick-up was head on with me signalling a left hand turn. They slowed and I assumed they were going to stop. I was starting my turn when they turned in front of me! I know that the bigger vehicle always has the "right of way". I braked hard and avoided them. It appeared to me that the 4 door pick-up was filled with mid twenties "hippster douchnozzles". Who tend to beleive they are superior to the rest of us. After almost hitting me they continued on a 35mph road a about 70mph! They are so smart that they purchase a full size Pick-up/Suv for $40,000 to $50,000, pay $1,000 to $2,000 to jack it up. Pay $2,000 for the giant wheels. Pay another $2,000 for the giant tires. Pay for 12mpg fuel mileage. Then use this vehicle that is appropriate for a farm or ranch to drive to work at the office or to the grocery store. They think they are geniuses! It has become some sort of bizzare status symbol. They could buy a small sedan which would serve their purposes for about $16,000. Sorry. It would have no status, only intellegence.
I really can't believe it! I was approaching the same intersection, A more than full size SUV (Ford excretion sorry, Ford Excursion, I hate them) was approaching head-on. They signaled a left turn and could have executed it with no problem. They instesd chose to stop. I was signalling a right turn as I was on August 7th. As I started to turn the "more than full size SUV" proceeded to make their left turn!!! I braked to avoid being crushed by a vehicle weighing more than 3 times the weight of my vehicle, The windows of the Excursion were so darkly tinted that I could not see the Driver or passengers. It did have an Alaska license plate. They also proceeded through a 35mph speed zone at a high rate of speed although I would estimate it as 55 to 60mph
View user's profile Send private message
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver



Joined: Jul 15, 2012
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Astraist wrote:
I also think that SUV's and pick-up trucks have a bad influence on driving culture. I always recommend a sedan, hatchback, station-van or any other kind of vehicle that suits the driver's ACTUAL needs, rather than his need to "show off" in his big vehicle.

SUV's usually don't have a larger interior space and often have poor dampening and a less than-ideal driving posture. They have bigger visibility limitations in driving and mainly when parking. They are harder to manuever and handle and are at a greater risk of sliding or rolling over and generally have longer braking distances in emergencies.

Bigger does not mean safer! A pick-up truck is usually a functional vehicle, intended for working use, so it's manufacturers usually do very little for the comfort and safety of the passengers - few airbags, if at all; lack of pretentioners, usually at the back seats; use of lap-only seatbelts and seatbelts that don't fit well or cannot be adjusted;lack of proper crumple zone planning and etc...

Even a big SUV or rig does not offer naturally better safety. It is custom to say that the safety benefit from a big and heavy vehicle is a none-positive one. That's because, in many collisions, the bigger weight plays no role in increasing the passengers' safety, namely when you hit an obstacle or roll over, in which case particularly - weight will even become a disadvantage.

Even in situations where the weight is playing for the benefit of your safety - it does so on the expense of whoever it is you are running into. This is unlike a car that is planned with good crumple zones, which not only reduce damage to the car's passengers, but also to whatever other road user that car hits!
I totally agree. The "full size pick-up SUV" craze in the USA is beyond my comprehension! As I have stated elsewere most of these vehicles are purchased by people who drive them to work or to the store. They are only a very expensive status symbol! A full size SUV could have a legitimate use for a large family. Although most are used for families of one or two or zero children. A full size pick-up has a legitimate use for farms, ranches, or construction businesses. The ones I am talking about are not working vehicles. Most have every luxury you could imagine. They cost 40 to 50 + thousand US dollars. Insurance is twice that of a small sedan. They guzzle 12mpg city 16mpg highway of around 4 USD gasoline or diesel. They also seem to create a cult of self absorbed "privledged/entitled" drivers. It is difficult to describe but they seem to consider themselves "above the law". If the lesser (peasant) vehicles are in their way they have the right to intimidate or exercise right of way over them. Although the USA allows their citizens to possess normal firearms we are not allowed to possess shoulder launched anti-tank weapons. I often wish I could have one. (Just kidding).
View user's profile Send private message
Misha
Site Owner



Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Posts: 705
Location: McLean, VA, USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shit happens SQT, just let it go. If you react that passionate to every idiot on the road, you shorten your own life, you know Smile
sgtrock21 wrote:
sgtrock21 wrote:
Yesterday I was driving at 25mph in a 25mph zone. I was signalling a right turn. A full size pick-up was head on with me signalling a left hand turn. They slowed and I assumed they were going to stop. I was starting my turn when they turned in front of me! I know that the bigger vehicle always has the "right of way". I braked hard and avoided them. It appeared to me that the 4 door pick-up was filled with mid twenties "hippster douchnozzles". Who tend to beleive they are superior to the rest of us. After almost hitting me they continued on a 35mph road a about 70mph! They are so smart that they purchase a full size Pick-up/Suv for $40,000 to $50,000, pay $1,000 to $2,000 to jack it up. Pay $2,000 for the giant wheels. Pay another $2,000 for the giant tires. Pay for 12mpg fuel mileage. Then use this vehicle that is appropriate for a farm or ranch to drive to work at the office or to the grocery store. They think they are geniuses! It has become some sort of bizzare status symbol. They could buy a small sedan which would serve their purposes for about $16,000. Sorry. It would have no status, only intellegence.
I really can't believe it! I was approaching the same intersection, A more than full size SUV (Ford excretion sorry, Ford Excursion, I hate them) was approaching head-on. They signaled a left turn and could have executed it with no problem. They instesd chose to stop. I was signalling a right turn as I was on August 7th. As I started to turn the "more than full size SUV" proceeded to make their left turn!!! I braked to avoid being crushed by a vehicle weighing more than 3 times the weight of my vehicle, The windows of the Excursion were so darkly tinted that I could not see the Driver or passengers. It did have an Alaska license plate. They also proceeded through a 35mph speed zone at a high rate of speed although I would estimate it as 55 to 60mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Misha
Site Owner



Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Posts: 705
Location: McLean, VA, USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
Although the USA allows their citizens to possess normal firearms we are not allowed to possess shoulder launched anti-tank weapons.
.357 magnum or .45 ACP will do the job just fine Very Happy Gun
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver



Joined: Jul 15, 2012
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Misha wrote:
Shit happens SQT, just let it go. If you react that passionate to every idiot on the road, you shorten your own life, you know Smile

I learned that lesson 30 years ago as a commercial driver. It required time and effort but I did learn to replace "anger" with "annoyance". The rocket launcher comment was a joke. Key words: "just kidding".
View user's profile Send private message
Misha
Site Owner



Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Posts: 705
Location: McLean, VA, USA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

I figured Smile And was kidding, too Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
newbielearner
Active member
Active member



Joined: Mar 27, 2012
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Astraist wrote:
I also think that SUV's and pick-up trucks have a bad influence on driving culture. I always recommend a sedan, hatchback, station-van or any other kind of vehicle that suits the driver's ACTUAL needs, rather than his need to "show off" in his big vehicle.

SUV's usually don't have a larger interior space and often have poor dampening and a less than-ideal driving posture. They have bigger visibility limitations in driving and mainly when parking. They are harder to manuever and handle and are at a greater risk of sliding or rolling over and generally have longer braking distances in emergencies.

Bigger does not mean safer! A pick-up truck is usually a functional vehicle, intended for working use, so it's manufacturers usually do very little for the comfort and safety of the passengers - few airbags, if at all; lack of pretentioners, usually at the back seats; use of lap-only seatbelts and seatbelts that don't fit well or cannot be adjusted;lack of proper crumple zone planning and etc...

Even a big SUV or rig does not offer naturally better safety. It is custom to say that the safety benefit from a big and heavy vehicle is a none-positive one. That's because, in many collisions, the bigger weight plays no role in increasing the passengers' safety, namely when you hit an obstacle or roll over, in which case particularly - weight will even become a disadvantage.

Even in situations where the weight is playing for the benefit of your safety - it does so on the expense of whoever it is you are running into. This is unlike a car that is planned with good crumple zones, which not only reduce damage to the car's passengers, but also to whatever other road user that car hits!


Couldn't agree more mate! They oughta ban those things I swear.

And then there are also those hummer monsters - they give me the creeps!



Image
View user's profile Send private message
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver



Joined: Jul 15, 2012
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Couldn't agree more mate! They oughta ban those things I swear.

And then there are also those hummer monsters - they give me the creeps!



Image

While discussing full size pick-ups/SUVs I purposefully did not address the Hummer. I consider the Hummer a catagory in and of itself. The Hummer is an enigma. A product desperately in search of a legitimate purpose. They have no utilitarian use for agriculture, construction, or large families. They are "look at me" status symbols for the novo rich (entertainment, sports, .com, etc.) and the I want to appear to be rich. I think most of the old money rich continue to purchase their traditional Rolls, Bentley Mercedes etc.. As far as the Hummer. I guess we really don't need to know why.
View user's profile Send private message
newbielearner
Active member
Active member



Joined: Mar 27, 2012
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
Couldn't agree more mate! They oughta ban those things I swear.

And then there are also those hummer monsters - they give me the creeps!



Image

While discussing full size pick-ups/SUVs I purposefully did not address the Hummer. I consider the Hummer a catagory in and of itself. The Hummer is an enigma. A product desperately in search of a legitimate purpose. They have no utilitarian use for agriculture, construction, or large families. They are "look at me" status symbols for the novo rich (entertainment, sports, .com, etc.) and the I want to appear to be rich. I think most of the old money rich continue to purchase their traditional Rolls, Bentley Mercedes etc.. As far as the Hummer. I guess we really don't need to know why.


yep I agree. Wasn't hummer first used for military purposes, like in wars etc? How it came to be associated as a status symbol is beyond me. No class.
View user's profile Send private message
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver



Joined: Jul 15, 2012
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

.[/quote]

yep I agree. Wasn't hummer first used for military purposes, like in wars etc? How it came to be associated as a status symbol is beyond me. No class.

[/quote]

The High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV), colloquially known as the Humvee is a military tactical vehicle with the usual "bare bones" finish inside and out.

AM General had planned to sell a civilian version of the Humvee as far back as the late 1980s. Having the same structure and most mechanical components, the civilian Hummers were finished in automotive gloss paint, adding passenger car enhancements such as air conditioning, sound insulation, upgraded upholstery, stereo systems, wood trim, and convenience packages. The civilian model began in part because of the persistence of Arnold Schwarzenegger, who saw an Army convoy while filming a movie.

In 1989 or 1990 Kindergarten Cop starring Arnold Schwarzenegger was being filmed in Astoria, Oregon. The Oregon National Guard has a training facility a few miles south of Astoria where my unit was participating in a training exercise. Two of my fellow soldiers wearing their uniforms and driving a military Jeep were performing an errand. When they returned they told me that in Astoria they stopped next to a "shiney yellow Humvee". The driver was Arnold! They were quite impressed by his vehicle and both gave him a "thumbs-up". Arnold displayed a didgit in the vertical position but it was not his thumb. Shame on you Arnold!
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2006 phpBB Group
:: Theme & Graphics by Daz :: Ported for PHP-Nuke by nukemods.com ::
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Forums ©
 
Defensive Driving | Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of Use | Texas Defensive Driving
Forums RSS Feed
NJ Defensive Driving | New York Defensive Driving| Fuel Economy



Page Generation: 0.10 Seconds
Fun and Safe Driving © 2006-2018