Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 47
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 47

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
mirb7000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I am terrified of driving on highways and the very idea of it puts me off. I am not sure what caused it and I had never been on an accident on the highway either, as a passenger. I have never driven on the highway yet but I need to overcome this fear that I have. What can I do? I don't know if going right on the highway even for a short while is a good idea so how can I properly overcome this without getting into an accident?
mgrant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You are not the only one who feels that way. I am afraid of driving on highways too and it is because the risk of getting into an accident is higher.
Astraist
Master Driver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fear from highways is very common. It can be related to lack of awareness and knowledge, like thinking that highway driving is more dangerous than other kinds of driving. It isn't! So, the solution is simply to learn how to drive on a highway and get exposed to it gradually, and things will eventually sort out.

Driving in a well maintained car that will make you confident, adjusting your driving posture accordingly so you feel comfortable and safe, driving when alert and in control, looking far ahead, avoiding distractions and driving in the right-hand lane - will all help to reduce the anxiety.

Once you get all of that sorted out - you need to start driving in faster and faster roads, all in your near environment and in thin traffic - staying inside your comfort zone and expanding it gradually.

Than, go on the highway while following another driver and preferably with another passenger in your car. Choose a section of highway that you are fimiliar with and that goes near your everyday driving route.

Another possible reason is a fear of independence that might be expressed in going "outdoors" and away from home.
DaughterOfEve

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think everyone goes through that fear at some point or another. Its a very understandable fear. If I were you I would not push myself and just give it some time. Of course you could always try just a small section of the highway at a time until you are comfortable. Try listening to some relaxing music. Possibly do the driving without any passengers so that you feel a little more confident. That's about all i can say.
newbielearner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

DaughterOfEve wrote:
I think everyone goes through that fear at some point or another. Its a very understandable fear. If I were you I would not push myself and just give it some time. Of course you could always try just a small section of the highway at a time until you are comfortable. Try listening to some relaxing music. Possibly do the driving without any passengers so that you feel a little more confident. That's about all i can say.

Yes, so annoying when you have someone sitting next to you constantly criticising your driving! Mad

I always find driving on my own less stressful. But it can get very boring on the highway if you've got no one with you. I end up dozing off, which is way worse!

On the other hand, last weekend, I went up north with my mates. Now that was way too distracting! I ended up sitting at the back, while my friend - a much more experienced driver - drove us instead.

Still gotta lot to learn, but I say, keep practicing man! It's the only way to go.

View next topic
View previous topic