Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 43
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 43

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How you sit does affect how you drive. In order to be able to steer away in case of emergency, one should have some room for his arms to move.

Unfortunately, many drivers do not realize this. Some drivers sit too far or too "relaxed", so they can hardly reach for the lower part of a steering wheel. Most drivers “hang” on a steering wheel. From those positions there is no way they can react to emergency by steering away – they just can't turn steering wheel back and forth fast enough. That leaves them with the single option: brake as hard as you can. Sometimes this is just not enough.

One more problem with "hanging" sitting style surfaced recently, when airbags where introduced. Airbags are designed to save a person buckled up in a proper position. If you hang on the wheel, airbag will injure you or even may kill you instead of saving. I've read numerous reports on this on the Internet.

Sitting properly is not a rocket science at all. Everyone can do this. However, there is a common problem of replacing an old bad habit with a new good one. That hard part of how you are going to do this you have to figure out by yourself - everybody is different, and you know yourself much better than I possibly can. I just can tell you what the good habit is in this case.

First, you adjust your seat position, so your legs are comfortable depressing pedals all the way down. Second, you grab the upper part of the steering wheel with your right hand, and adjust your seat’s back angle so your arm is not bent in the elbow, and your back is snug in the seat back. And that’s it! Now your arms have enough room to turn steering wheel as fast as they can, your legs have enough room to press and release the pedals, and your airbag has enough room to work properly, if needed.
This girl sits too far
Girl sitting too far while driving
This girl sits too close
Girl sitting too close while driving
This girl sits just right
Girl sitting properly while driving

Last edited by Misha on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:13 pm; edited 11 times in total
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm officially starting Driving with Misha video series with the first 5 minute video - How to sit properly when driving. Go take a look.
FRE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very good.

Also needed is instruction on how to hold the steering wheel. Too many drivers hold the steering wheel in such a manner that they have less than optimal control. The 10 o'clock 2 o'clock and 9 o'clock 3 o'clock positions are good. However, there is a fad to use the 7 o'clock 5 o'clock position, i.e., both hands near the bottom of the steering wheel, the idea being that doing so reduces the chances of having the air bag break an arm. However, that reduces control and makes it less convenient to operate the turn signal.

I guess that I'm lucky because the seating position and hands positions that I find most comfortable are the recommended ones.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Smile

Yes, I have this in plans for quite some time already, I just can't get to it. May be your post pushes me finally Smile

And I think it is always uncomfortable to change a habitual position, but once you get used to it it becomes comfortable Smile
kinzDon

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yes when i have take a sit in car first fiv mintus i think and sit properly than i start the car.
GJenkinsXoXo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering, if I buy custom seat covers for my car will it effect my placement? I supposed I can always adjust the seat to the right position but if I have to move it back too far then the people sitting behind me might get uncomfortable. Just wondering if this will be a problem. Thanks Smile
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I guess no, but you never know for sure until you try. Smile
olivia751

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hello friends,

I think proper sitting method is very much important for learn driving. I faced many problem on first time but by the suggestion from you and also from link snipped i feel easy to learn driving.
Thank you friends.

Regards,
Olivia
sindhu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yep the video was quite useful. Its barely a month since I got my license. And the mistake I do often is sit very close to the steering and also I don't touch my heel down while applying brakes and clutch..
arun
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

One of the most important skill to making driving easy is to sit in the correct posture. adjust your seat so that your knee is exactly below the steering wheel.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sindhu, this goes beyond my language skills - what does "touch my heel down" mean?

Arun, where did you get such a terrific advice? LOL
sriram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Guys it all depends on driver s comfortableness....A driver while driving should be comfortable to sit his own choice of sitting in the seat.
Remedith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

many drivers not take into consideration that your feet must easily press down the braking pedal in case of an emergency. During excessive braking you have to deal with greater forces than a normal breaking... so.... choose between safety position and sleeping position at your seat Smile
peeter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

First, you adjust your seat position, so your legs are comfortable depressing pedals all the way down. Second, you grab the upper part of steering wheel with your right hand, and adjust your seat’s back angle so your hand is not bent in the elbow, and your back is snug in the seat back.

And that’s it! Now your hands have enough room to turn steering wheel as fast as they can, your legs have enough room to press and release the pedals, and your airbag has enough room to work properly, if needed. Also to learn LINK SNIPPED.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Peeter, if you want to advertise here, contact me. Dropping links is not allowed here. Smile

View next topic
View previous topic