Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

 
Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Sitemap
· Video Library
 
Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 29
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 29
 

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Astraist
Master Driver



Joined: Mar 27, 2010
Posts: 209

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was getting tired of drivers around me passing the blame of the crashes they were in to another driver, so I wrote this article. It teaches drivers efficient and proven methods for avoiding or resolving dangerous situations caused by someone else's fault, including:

- When another car rear-ends you

- When another car cuts your way at an intersection

- When another, parked car pulls over right in front of you

- When a pedestrian jumps on the road in front of you

- When another car swerves at you from the near lane

- When a bend on the road suddenly "tightens up" mid corner

- When the road is coverd by grease/ice/rocks or has a pothole.

- When another driver swerves at you from oncoming traffic

- When you car's tires break down

- When your car's throttle pedal sticks

- When your car's brakes fail

My article specifies practical steps that can be used to avoid these collisions, or reduce them to very light crashes without risk to human life or serious injury. Read and practice!

http://drivingnation.blogspot.com/2011/07/avoiding-unavoidable-collision.html
View user's profile Send private message
Werfelgartner
Member
Member



Joined: May 04, 2011
Posts: 20
Location: USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Taking a proper course into defensive driving reduce the risk of accidents which are anticipated by dangerous situations despite the conditions or mistakes of others. Such drivers are required to take every measure to prevent accidents from occurring which would result out of their driveway.
View user's profile Send private message
Misha
Site Owner



Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Posts: 705
Location: McLean, VA, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Astraist wrote:
I was getting tired of drivers around me passing the blame of the crashes they were in to another driver, so I wrote this article. It teaches drivers efficient and proven methods for avoiding or resolving dangerous situations caused by someone else's fault, including:

- When another car rear-ends you

- When another car cuts your way at an intersection

- When another, parked car pulls over right in front of you

- When a pedestrian jumps on the road in front of you

- When another car swerves at you from the near lane

- When a bend on the road suddenly "tightens up" mid corner

- When the road is coverd by grease/ice/rocks or has a pothole.

- When another driver swerves at you from oncoming traffic

- When you car's tires break down

- When your car's throttle pedal sticks

- When your car's brakes fail

My article specifies practical steps that can be used to avoid these collisions, or reduce them to very light crashes without risk to human life or serious injury. Read and practice!

http://drivingnation.blogspot.com/2011/07/avoiding-unavoidable-collision.html


Nah Astraist, most people just plain don't get it. We all like to blame somebody else, even when the fault is on our side. And the situation when the fault is clearly on the other side, people just can't somehow comprehend that, even though there was no formal fault on their side, they personally could have behaved differently and avoided the accident. Why should they - the other guy was wrong! Oh my...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Astraist
Master Driver



Joined: Mar 27, 2010
Posts: 209

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

You're absolutly right. I'd even take it a step further: People blame everyone and everything around them for what is going on on the road and all of the collisions. They build up an imaginary figure of a driver, on which they put all of the blame. Most people would picture a young criminal, usually drunk, driving in excess speeds, as if out of a quest to get killed.

In action no driver goes out to drive with the idea of having a collision at mind. Most drivers won't even go as far as to define themselves as bad drivers, and would actually become quite upset if you comment on their driving (a known psychological issue, mainly amongst men). In action, little to none of the collisions are caused by the type I described above. They all involve normative people who had made a naive mistake or misjudged something.

It's not necessarily "human error" by it's classic definitions -- driver's don't get it wrong, they just don't know what they are doing. When you confront them about trying to change the way they drive or get better, they use the said excuse: "You can be the best driver in the world and still get killed by another driver." And I say - wrong! I personally know various cases of drivers who managed to avoid collisions like head-on collisions or rear-end collisions, and not by "chance", but based on skill and knowledge. My own trainer, had avoided an army truck that came in front of him mid-corner!
View user's profile Send private message
GerardWon
Master Racer



Joined: May 10, 2011
Posts: 46
Location: NYC Area

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Astraist wrote:
I was getting tired of drivers around me passing the blame of the crashes they were in to another driver, so I wrote this article. It teaches drivers efficient and proven methods for avoiding or resolving dangerous situations caused by someone else's fault, including:

- When another car rear-ends you

- When another car cuts your way at an intersection

- When another, parked car pulls over right in front of you

- When a pedestrian jumps on the road in front of you

- When another car swerves at you from the near lane

- When a bend on the road suddenly "tightens up" mid corner

- When the road is coverd by grease/ice/rocks or has a pothole.

- When another driver swerves at you from oncoming traffic

- When you car's tires break down

- When your car's throttle pedal sticks

- When your car's brakes fail

My article specifies practical steps that can be used to avoid these collisions, or reduce them to very light crashes without risk to human life or serious injury. Read and practice!

http://drivingnation.blogspot.com/2011/07/avoiding-unavoidable-collision.html


Astraist -- another quality post.

Here are some words I live by...

Quoting a racing instructor: 'If your driving down the back straight on a sunny day and a bolt of lightening comes out of the clear blue sky and hits your car: it's your fault!

Why? You were driving where the lightening was about to be."


I first heard this when I was a teen and thought it was BS. Took me some years to accept its truth and wisdom.


Oh and btw Astraist I looked over your article and if I might add...

One of the best ways to predict what another motorist is about to do is by looking at his front tires. You will see them turn towards you Much sooner (much sooner being a relative term in a split second world) than you wil notice his vehicle changing direction.

I told a buddy of mine this when we were just teenagers. I ran into him about 10 years later and he brought it up... he told me thanks because I had saved his family's life recently on the highway. He noticed a truck he was about to pass started to cut him off and only my early warning system gave him that little extra time, which is sooo critical in a deal like that, to take evassive action.

Please pass it on to your students -- it works magic for me and my ole buddy Jay confirmed its merits.

More tips, tactics and vids by GerardWon...
http://www.gerardwon.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message
Astraist
Master Driver



Joined: Mar 27, 2010
Posts: 209

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Gerard, your notes are highly welcome. In fact, looking at the other car's tires makes any kind of movement more noticeable. For instance, if another car is about to burst into the junction that you are about to cross, it can be seen better by looking at the wheels or at the gap between the front tire and wing (as an evidence of the weight transfer).

It's important for me to state that these pieces of advice are practical: Not few are the drivers who drive this way regularly, and I know some cases where they prevented collisions that were purely another driver's fault. Hell, my own trainer avoided a head-on round a bend with an army truck!
View user's profile Send private message
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin



Joined: Jan 06, 2010
Posts: 485

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

A very interesting blog Gerard. I really enjoyed reading your tips for improving concentration while driving. Thought it might be worth quoting it here:

"One quick tip I learned years ago is actually a yoga exercise. At least that's what the high school teacher that taught it to us said it came from. I stole his idea and used it often to improve my concentration. It is a very simple visual exercise that I assure you works to improve your visual concentration while you drive.

Look at a brick wall. Start at the bottom row of bricks then look up at the next row, then the next. Go all the way to the top then work your way down to the bottom; pausing your eyes breifly on each and every row of bricks.

This little visual exercise works wonders."
View user's profile Send private message
GerardWon
Master Racer



Joined: May 10, 2011
Posts: 46
Location: NYC Area

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

myownworld wrote:
A very interesting blog Gerard. I really enjoyed reading your tips for improving concentration while driving. Thought it might be worth quoting it here:

"One quick tip I learned years ago is actually a yoga exercise. At least that's what the high school teacher that taught it to us said it came from. I stole his idea and used it often to improve my concentration. It is a very simple visual exercise that I assure you works to improve your visual concentration while you drive.

Look at a brick wall. Start at the bottom row of bricks then look up at the next row, then the next. Go all the way to the top then work your way down to the bottom; pausing your eyes breifly on each and every row of bricks.

This little visual exercise works wonders."


Appreciate it!

btw how are things in your hometown? Some of the reports are -- alarming.
View user's profile Send private message
GerardWon
Master Racer



Joined: May 10, 2011
Posts: 46
Location: NYC Area

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Astraist wrote:
Gerard, your notes are highly welcome. In fact, looking at the other car's tires makes any kind of movement more noticeable. For instance, if another car is about to burst into the junction that you are about to cross, it can be seen better by looking at the wheels or at the gap between the front tire and wing (as an evidence of the weight transfer).

It's important for me to state that these pieces of advice are practical: Not few are the drivers who drive this way regularly, and I know some cases where they prevented collisions that were purely another driver's fault. Hell, my own trainer avoided a head-on round a bend with an army truck!


Thanks!

I tend not to elaborate on all possible permutations of my tips. I aim instead to illuminate a particular path for the reader. To allow them to see something from my perspective -- which is unique, as is theirs. To put in another way "I can only open the door; your the one that has to walk through it."
View user's profile Send private message
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin



Joined: Jan 06, 2010
Posts: 485

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GerardWon wrote:
myownworld wrote:
A very interesting blog Gerard. I really enjoyed reading your tips for improving concentration while driving. Thought it might be worth quoting it here:

"One quick tip I learned years ago is actually a yoga exercise. At least that's what the high school teacher that taught it to us said it came from. I stole his idea and used it often to improve my concentration. It is a very simple visual exercise that I assure you works to improve your visual concentration while you drive.

Look at a brick wall. Start at the bottom row of bricks then look up at the next row, then the next. Go all the way to the top then work your way down to the bottom; pausing your eyes breifly on each and every row of bricks.

This little visual exercise works wonders."


Appreciate it!

btw how are things in your hometown? Some of the reports are -- alarming.


yes, worrying times! Total chaos everywhere.... the miscreants are now freely looting and destroying things and it's spreading like bad infection.

Last night they showed on news that one CCT camera captured the image of an apparently 'normal' family driving in their car, breaking into a store and filling bags with groceries and making off! Mad
View user's profile Send private message
GerardWon
Master Racer



Joined: May 10, 2011
Posts: 46
Location: NYC Area

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

myownworld wrote:
GerardWon wrote:
myownworld wrote:
A very interesting blog Gerard. I really enjoyed reading your tips for improving concentration while driving. Thought it might be worth quoting it here:

"One quick tip I learned years ago is actually a yoga exercise. At least that's what the high school teacher that taught it to us said it came from. I stole his idea and used it often to improve my concentration. It is a very simple visual exercise that I assure you works to improve your visual concentration while you drive.

Look at a brick wall. Start at the bottom row of bricks then look up at the next row, then the next. Go all the way to the top then work your way down to the bottom; pausing your eyes breifly on each and every row of bricks.

This little visual exercise works wonders."


Appreciate it!

btw how are things in your hometown? Some of the reports are -- alarming.


yes, worrying times! Total chaos everywhere.... the miscreants are now freely looting and destroying things and it's spreading like bad infection.

Last night they showed on news that one CCT camera captured the image of an apparently 'normal' family driving in their car, breaking into a store and filling bags with groceries and making off! Mad


I hope you and yours stay safe. May it end soon.
View user's profile Send private message
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin



Joined: Jan 06, 2010
Posts: 485

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks! It's already calming down around london... hopefully things should resume as normal soon... Smile
View user's profile Send private message
Mendy404
Member
Member



Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

According to my opinion you have to know what are the rules & regulation of driving.. Also you have to improve your driving skill...............



You can get more details about *Link SNIPPED*
View user's profile Send private message
rikyjakes
Guest






PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah i like driving any vehicles, thanks for the tips in here..

*LINK SNIPPED*
rikyjakes
Guest






PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah i like driving any vehicles, thanks for the tips in here and try to visit this one *LINK SNIPPED*
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2006 phpBB Group
:: Theme & Graphics by Daz :: Ported for PHP-Nuke by nukemods.com ::
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Forums ©
 
Defensive Driving | Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of Use | Texas Defensive Driving
Forums RSS Feed
NJ Defensive Driving | New York Defensive Driving| Fuel Economy



Page Generation: 0.10 Seconds
Fun and Safe Driving © 2006-2018