Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

 
Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Sitemap
· Video Library
 
Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 17
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 17
 

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
ndriv
New member



Joined: Oct 24, 2010
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How to shift from first to second gear without wearing out the clutch as quickly? I am new at driving a stick shift. I heard that you have to let the clutch all way up before changing to second gear. I never let it all out before changing to second and this seems smooth. but when i let it all way out before changing, the car feels like i'm braking or something.

whats the correct way of shifting to second gear smoothly?
View user's profile Send private message
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin



Joined: Jan 06, 2010
Posts: 485

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Fasd ndriv and best of luck with driving! Smile

It takes a lot of practice to master letting out the clutch while pressing the gas pedal and shifting gears. So, I hope a few of these tips will help:

- When letting out the clutch, it is ok to hold it down a little but you must try NOT to hold it there.

- Just like the brake pedal, you should use the clutch only to change gears; any time you are NOT using the clutch, keep your foot off of it.

- 'Riding it' will cause premature wear.

- Shift from first gear to second, while you have the clutch on the floor. Let out the clutch while increasing pressure on the gas pedal. Practice this on a straight road.

- Once you get into second gear, you can drive for a bit. Remember, to take your foot off the gas when you push in the clutch. If you don't, the engine RPM's will go way up without the load from the transmission.

- And don't forget, clutches are very expensive to replace!
View user's profile Send private message
ndriv
New member



Joined: Oct 24, 2010
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

myownworld wrote:
Welcome to Fasd ndriv and best of luck with driving! Smile

It takes a lot of practice to master letting out the clutch while pressing the gas pedal and shifting gears. So, I hope a few of these tips will help:

- When letting out the clutch, it is ok to hold it down a little but you must try NOT to hold it there.

- Just like the brake pedal, you should use the clutch only to change gears; any time you are NOT using the clutch, keep your foot off of it.

- 'Riding it' will cause premature wear.

- Shift from first gear to second, while you have the clutch on the floor. Let out the clutch while increasing pressure on the gas pedal. Practice this on a straight road.

- Once you get into second gear, you can drive for a bit. Remember, to take your foot off the gas when you push in the clutch. If you don't, the engine RPM's will go way up without the load from the transmission.

- And don't forget, clutches are very expensive to replace!


thanks for the tips, myownworld.

another newbie question.
does the balancing of clutch/gas only done on lower gears?
i mean, say, from second to third i can just depress the clutch and change gear and release the clutch quickly and continue on the gas.
View user's profile Send private message
Misha
Site Owner



Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Posts: 705
Location: McLean, VA, USA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ndriv wrote:
How to shift from first to second gear without wearing out the clutch as quickly? I am new at driving a stick shift. I heard that you have to let the clutch all way up before changing to second gear. I never let it all out before changing to second and this seems smooth. but when i let it all way out before changing, the car feels like i'm braking or something.

whats the correct way of shifting to second gear smoothly?
Well, as long as you don't fell that you gearbox does not want to shift and you force it, it's not a big deal. Though pushing clutch all the way down is still a safer bet. If you shift with not fully disengaged clutch, you wear your synchros more than necessary, and this is even more expensive repair than clutch. Notice that I said "clutch disengaged completely" not "pedal depressed completely" - those two are related, but different. With practice, you'll do it faster, and your car won't slow down between shifts. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Misha
Site Owner



Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Posts: 705
Location: McLean, VA, USA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ndriv wrote:
myownworld wrote:
Welcome to Fasd ndriv and best of luck with driving! Smile

It takes a lot of practice to master letting out the clutch while pressing the gas pedal and shifting gears. So, I hope a few of these tips will help:

- When letting out the clutch, it is ok to hold it down a little but you must try NOT to hold it there.

- Just like the brake pedal, you should use the clutch only to change gears; any time you are NOT using the clutch, keep your foot off of it.

- 'Riding it' will cause premature wear.

- Shift from first gear to second, while you have the clutch on the floor. Let out the clutch while increasing pressure on the gas pedal. Practice this on a straight road.

- Once you get into second gear, you can drive for a bit. Remember, to take your foot off the gas when you push in the clutch. If you don't, the engine RPM's will go way up without the load from the transmission.

- And don't forget, clutches are very expensive to replace!


thanks for the tips, myownworld.

another newbie question.
does the balancing of clutch/gas only done on lower gears?
i mean, say, from second to third i can just depress the clutch and change gear and release the clutch quickly and continue on the gas.
You still do balancing albeit on a lower scale than starting. If you don't, your shifts are jerky. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2006 phpBB Group
:: Theme & Graphics by Daz :: Ported for PHP-Nuke by nukemods.com ::
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Forums ©
 
Defensive Driving | Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of Use | Texas Defensive Driving
Forums RSS Feed
NJ Defensive Driving | New York Defensive Driving| Fuel Economy



Page Generation: 0.09 Seconds
Fun and Safe Driving © 2006-2018