Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 43
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 43

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
calomath

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everybody. I'm in New York and I'm going in for my driving test tomorrow and everything's in order pretty much, except for a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1. At the last minute I read LINK SNIPPED which mentions at one point:

"Keep both hands on the wheel and do not cross hands. At least in New York, if you cross hands, you are bound to get penalized by the instructor. Keep both hands on the wheel and if you are driving a manual, shift and then place your hand back on the wheel. If you keep it off, you are bound to get penalized by the instructor."

Since I usually do hand-over-hand, this came as a big surprise to me. Apparently what they want is LINK SNIPPED (LINK SNIPPED)? Hand-to-hand, I guess you call it.

Does anyone know about what NY driving instructors want to see there, or if they'll penalize me for going hand-over-hand ("crossing hands")?

2. When reversing, I like to twirl a couple of fingers, one crooked and braced against each other, against the blocks (don't know what else to call them) of the Y-shaped insides the wheel. Depending on which direction I'm reversing in I'll move my hand around the wheel and push against the appropriate part of the Y-shape, rotating the wheel appropriately. This works extremely well and any other method would seem very weird to me. What will the instructor make of this? Will he insist on hand-over-hand or even hand-to-hand while reversing, or am I okay?

3. Also, while parallel parking, I tend to do the last part, the pull back left to slide into position, on a dime, as the old expression has it. Meaning that I apply full brake, rotate the wheel pretty much all the way, then slowly back up, sliding into place. Will the instructor insist on my turning left while moving, instead of on full brake?

4. Oh, and while I'm here, do they expect you to use your blinker for all 3 parts of the 3 point turn (or K turn as I've heard it called)?

Thanks for any responses.
calomath

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Never mind. For reference, my driving instructor didn't care about how I manipulated the wheel, but he did care about a bunch of other things. Remember that a 3-point turn is done in the street not a driveway and you'll do better than I did.
wertz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

I insist that you drive with ease, you take too much caution while driving. Dont feed your mistakes into your mind that makes you to make more mistakes again and again.
ritz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

many will recognise your driving skill by the way you sit and the way you hold the steering wheel. So never give such kind of chances to the observer.

View next topic
View previous topic