Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 50
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 50

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I did believe in this for years. My reasoning was really easy and seemed to be bulletproof – I want my front wheels to have a better grip, because I want to be able to steer in order to keep control over my car in any circumstances. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
Gpsman from automotiveforums.com provided the link that changed my opinion to the opposite. It is from Michelin site. I do not use their tires, I think they are overpriced, but this has nothing to do with this video. They do not have any selling interest here, and I do believe them. And I think they have some serious research under this video. Do yourself a favor, watch it: http://youtu.be/HdSf0KJie_E.

Last edited by Misha on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:30 am; edited 5 times in total
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

And I just realized that it does not make any sense now to rotate tires on FWD cars. You just wait for front tires to wear out, then move rear ones to the front and install new tires to the rear axle…
Pavlo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, lets think about this. When you start hydroplaning (sp), what is the reaction? Either brake, or let off the throttle, both of which promote oversteer to a certain extent by moving the weight off the rear tires, now if your rear end slides out, you can just give it gas and you will get that same understeer. On the dry road, the new tire will be safer on the front as they have less traction, thats because of how the tire is made, it handles the best about half way worn out (and this is from experience as well as facts). So on a dry road the new front tires will in fact lose traction first. Now ask yourself, does it rain every day? No, and the driver should be smart enough to have a speed that won't allow you to lose traction in the first place.
Not conviced, and I don't ride on different tires, car acts a bit differently.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pavlo wrote:
now if your rear end slides out, you can just give it gas and you will get that same understeer.

Where did you see average driver adding gas when her rear axle slides? She will just slam on brakes until ABS kicks in....

You seem to be a different story, you seem to know what you are doing, so for you this is just one more piece of information to consider...
Pavlo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that is true. But judging from the the website, most people here are enthusiasts and know the physics of the car. I learned, some the hard way, some are just theories. Giving gas when rear end slides out I learned the hard way Smile, that was after braking in a turn with a just installed rear sway bar.
I know I will relize what to do, as I have experienced this. Now if it was for my sister, I will show her the video. Oversteer in the rain IS harder to control, thats why I drive super carefully, or with foot on the throttle in the turns.
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

not the right place for this and I don't mean to jack the thread.. but the funniest thing happened to me one day on an onramp in the rain.

I was driving a pickup truck at a reasonable rate through this curving onramp. The sports car behind me got jumpy and tried to pass me on the outside. He had just passed me when his back tires lost traction and slid out. I saw this in slow motion and started slowing down as rapidly as I could. At the same time, he turned his front wheels INTO the turn and ended up doing a 180. He corrected just in time to start rolling backwards right in front of me! We only stared at each other for a half second.. but the look on his face is with me to this day: Shocked He then turned the wheel the wrong way again and crunched backwards into the guardrail at 5 or 10mph.

I felt sorry for the car Sad
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing That reminded me team Saab video, that is floating on the net. A bit different skill level, though Laughing

View next topic
View previous topic