Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 50
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 50

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This has happened before. I just remembered something that happened during the "oil shortage". By mid 1974 the oil had miraculously started flowing again but at a price. The pump price of gasoline had doubled! It was around $.60 per gallon! U.S. consumers suspecting (correctly) that they had been decieived were pissed. They had suffered restricted mobility, time wasted searching for available fuel and waiting in long lines when they located it. plus conserving fuel by paying a premium price for more fuel efficient vehicles. Politicians needing to divert attention that many of them were "in on" the scam with the help of the media's addiction to sensationalism they came up with a great idea. Divert the consumers attention by pointing out the huge waste of precious gasoline by motor sports. It worked very well as the average consumer did not comprehend that the amount of oil products "wasted" by motor sports was a drop in the ocean compared to the overall U.S. consumption. NASCAR responded by reducing the length of their races by 10% (later 20%). USAC (United States Auto Club) whose top tier was what is now Indy Car responded by limiting the amount of fuel available to each car per race (example: 280 gallons for a 500 mile race). What confounds me is the fact that USAC ("Indy Cars") used 100% alcohol for fuel. Since no petroleum molecules are harmed in the distilling of alcohol how did this save oil? Nowdays they raise gasoline prices by 10s of cents with excuses. Which consist of refinery fires/unexplained shutdowns, storms, whatever. The media fuels these lies. Then they lower gasoline prices by a few cents and the consumers think they are "gods". I have been through this to many times. I am not impressed!
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, government always tries to shift the blame, and at the same time to push more restrictive agenda. Remember they implemented nationwide speed limit "in order to save gas"? Crisis went, but limit stayed...
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Misha wrote:
Well, government always tries to shift the blame, and at the same time to push more restrictive agenda. Remember they implemented nationwide speed limit "in order to save gas"? Crisis went, but limit stayed...
Exactly. Manipulation of the "proletariate". I remember driving at the ridicules speed of 55mph on interestates that were designed for 100mph. Nevada was the "rebel" and refused to lower their speed limit. Wait. Nevada did not have a speed limit! When traffic on Interstate 10 pokeing along in California at 55mph crossed the Nevada border everyone put the pedal to the metal! Eventually the Federal Government brought Nevada to "heel" by threatning to withdraw their highway funding. Did you experiance false fuel shortages in Russia?
newbielearner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
This has happened before. I just remembered something that happened during the "oil shortage". By mid 1974 the oil had miraculously started flowing again but at a price. The pump price of gasoline had doubled! It was around $.60 per gallon! U.S. consumers suspecting (correctly) that they had been decieived were pissed. They had suffered restricted mobility, time wasted searching for available fuel and waiting in long lines when they located it. plus conserving fuel by paying a premium price for more fuel efficient vehicles. Politicians needing to divert attention that many of them were "in on" the scam with the help of the media's addiction to sensationalism they came up with a great idea. Divert the consumers attention by pointing out the huge waste of precious gasoline by motor sports. It worked very well as the average consumer did not comprehend that the amount of oil products "wasted" by motor sports was a drop in the ocean compared to the overall U.S. consumption. NASCAR responded by reducing the length of their races by 10% (later 20%). USAC (United States Auto Club) whose top tier was what is now Indy Car responded by limiting the amount of fuel available to each car per race (example: 280 gallons for a 500 mile race). What confounds me is the fact that USAC ("Indy Cars") used 100% alcohol for fuel. Since no petroleum molecules are harmed in the distilling of alcohol how did this save oil? Nowdays they raise gasoline prices by 10s of cents with excuses. Which consist of refinery fires/unexplained shutdowns, storms, whatever. The media fuels these lies. Then they lower gasoline prices by a few cents and the consumers think they are "gods". I have been through this to many times. I am not impressed!

I agree. I've been in the UK for a while now - and the price of petrol is rocketing high.

The govt always seems to come up with some 'excuse' or the other. A few months back, they said that there was a massive shortage and the prices had to go up. Everyone rushed to store up for gasoline. Terrible cues at petrol stations. Apparently, the oil is flowing again, except the price has never gone back to what it was.

First they raise the energy bills, then gas, then they move to household goods. And all in the name of 'recession' - the favorite word of politicians here.

Hey, hope you're safe from Sandy I hope?
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
Did you experience false fuel shortages in Russia?
Oh sure we did. Though, as all other shortages back in the USSR, they were not false, they were real. Planned economy tends to create shortages like a clockwork. Smile
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

newbielearner wrote:
sgtrock21 wrote:

I agree. I've been in the UK for a while now - and the price of petrol is rocketing high.

The govt always seems to come up with some 'excuse' or the other. A few months back, they said that there was a massive shortage and the prices had to go up. Everyone rushed to store up for gasoline. Terrible cues at petrol stations. Apparently, the oil is flowing again, except the price has never gone back to what it was.

First they raise the energy bills, then gas, then they move to household goods. And all in the name of 'recession' - the favorite word of politicians here.

Sounds very famliar. During huricane Katrina 3 refineries were shut down as a precausion and broadcast by the media. Within a 2 hour period gasoline prices jumped by 20%. The refineries were back on line in about 3 days. After about 2 weeks of the inflated prices consumers wanted to know why. I remember a spokesman from the oil companies saying that price spikes can take up to 30 days to return to normal. Price going up 2 hours. price going down 30 days. Are we really expected to believe this? I am on the USA West coast so I am safe from Sandy. I expect I will still be paying for Sandy with higher prices for many unrelated things. We did have a 7.7 earthquake in British Columbia a couple of days ago with tsunami warnings. Nothing happened here or anywhere else but I'm sure "they" will find a way to screw us for that.
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just read an article. It was about Hyundai/Kia being sued for false EPA mileage claims. I have been driving a 2010 Kia Forte for over 2 years. It is an SX with gen 3-2.4L-6 speed manual. The EPA sticker claimed 22mpg city, 32mpg highway, 26mpg combined. My actual fuel mileage has been 24mpg city, 40mpg highway, (long highway trip) and 28mpg combined (short highway trips). I have no complaints! I suspect "driver habits". Not any fault of the vehicle.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

I always said it depends on your driving habits more than on anything else. Smile I have a lead foot, though, as well as my wife - so we have to visit gas stations pretty often. As for the suing - this reminds me of Toyota gas pedal case, the same idiocy. The biggest car problem as usual is located between the steering wheel and front seat.
sgtrock21
Seasoned Driver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Misha wrote:
I always said it depends on your driving habits more than on anything else. Smile I have a lead foot, though, as well as my wife - so we have to visit gas stations pretty often. As for the suing - this reminds me of Toyota gas pedal case, the same idiocy. The biggest car problem as usual is located between the steering wheel and front seat.
The proverbial "Nut Behind the Wheel". No offense. Many years ago I used a ridicules amount of expensive $.45 per gallon 115/130 octane aviation gasoline (less than 10mpg) to provide my entertainment in a car! A big block Ford with 12.1 to 1 compression ratio. I'm sure your Hondas are achieving much better mpg than that! My problem nowdays with high fuel prices are drivers "accelerating" from a stop ahead of me at idle speed. They think they are saving fuel when it has been proven that modern vehicles are computer controlled to achieve best mileage when accelerating normaly.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
I'm sure your Hondas are achieving much better mpg than that!
Not all of them. Odyssey is quite a gas guzzler under our lead feet - it averages anywhere between 13 and 14 mpg Very Happy

As for those disabled people who are scared of moving their gas pedal an extra 1/16th of an inch because some misguided soul told them they can save a few cents this way - there is not much we can do here other than just don't let them get under our skin I think. And pass them at the first opportunity. Smile
newbielearner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sgtrock21 wrote:
newbielearner wrote:
sgtrock21 wrote:

Sounds very famliar. During huricane Katrina 3 refineries were shut down as a precausion and broadcast by the media. Within a 2 hour period gasoline prices jumped by 20%. The refineries were back on line in about 3 days. After about 2 weeks of the inflated prices consumers wanted to know why. I remember a spokesman from the oil companies saying that price spikes can take up to 30 days to return to normal. Price going up 2 hours. price going down 30 days. Are we really expected to believe this? I am on the USA West coast so I am safe from Sandy. I expect I will still be paying for Sandy with higher prices for many unrelated things. We did have a 7.7 earthquake in British Columbia a couple of days ago with tsunami warnings. Nothing happened here or anywhere else but I'm sure "they" will find a way to screw us for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL you're spot on! Been watching the news, good to know you survived Sandy.

Meanwhile, the whole saga repeats itself: Shortage of oil - queues at gas stations - rising prices...on and on. Let's see if the price goes down or not once everything gets back to normal. I doubt it though!
kaylaleonard47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

This is really bad thing that gasoline prices are always on the rise. When the price drops down, the percentage of hike is still much higher.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi and welcome to Fun and Safe Driving KaylaLeonard47!
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

kaylaleonard47 wrote:
This is really bad thing that gasoline prices are always on the rise. When the price drops down, the percentage of hike is still much higher.

Welcome to Fun And Safe Driving Kay. Nice to meet you! Smile

View next topic
View previous topic