Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 55
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 55

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It was for speeding, 47 in 30. We believe her speed was significantly lower, so we are going to fight this ticket in court. What this makes me thinking about though, is the irony and perversion of speed traps.

Speed traps are supposed to increase our safety. Police is supposed to defend us from many things, including robbery. This all is in theory. In reality, watching for speed traps takes considerable amount of driver’s attention, thus increasing the possibility of accidents. And police assists in the robbery called “speeding tickets”. What a farce!

Last edited by Misha on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So don't speed and you don't have to watch for the traps!!!

Very Happy

that being said. I'm still pissed about the speed trap that landed me a ticket that was at the bottom of a big downhill.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer to decide myself what speed is right for me, and not to have some guy telling me what I should and what I shouldn't do Razz
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I have money I plan on doing just the same. For now though, I'd better watch out.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know, interesting thing is - it does not cost me that much. This is one of mysterious things I just came to accept and appreciate. Looks like I have a feel for where and when speed trap is located. This could be because of my long experience, this could be because of somebody is watching over me, this could be because I managed to get a little bit in tune with the Universe – I really don’t know. I just have to carefully listen to my feelings while driving.

My tickets are rare and between, last ticket I had was probably like a year ago, and I don’t remember when I got the one before it. My DMV record is good enough and points do stay just above zero. And as I said before, I routinely drive 80-90 mph on highway. Having my own set of speed limits tailored to me, my cars, and current road conditions, I rarely match the posted ones and use them mostly as a reference, I go either faster or slower in most cases.

I pay about $600 to insure three cars and two drivers, and this is including comprehensive and collision on 03' Si and 05 Murano with $500 deductable. I think the rate is pretty good. Any time I think otherwise, I start shopping around for a better rate. I suspect many people pay way more for much less. Auto insurance quotes from Esurance
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, we finally went to the court today and lost. Found guilty as charged Sad

Guess it was just a bad luck. We spent like two hours in the court room, and not a single speeding case was dimissed! Not a single one. All judges are different, you know... Wink
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

bummer on the loss.

I pay almost nothing for insurance for my wife and I on my two civics. I think its $206 every six months. Of course that's for absolute bare minimum Wisconsin allows.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, man Very Happy

I guess Wisconsin is sort of a cheap state. Here in VA 600+ for two civics and murano for two drivers looks like a pretty good deal for me. And it is bare minimum, too, but I have to have comprehensive and collision with just $500 deductable on new civic and murano, since they are financed...
swamprat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Misha et al.

First of all, great website. You have a lot of good information and passion for driving, which is largely missing in this country.

Have you considered joining the National Motorists Association?

The NMA is the nation's only drivers rights organization dedicated to advancing and protecting the interests of the American motorist. We were largely responsible for getting the repeal of the 55 mph speed limit through Congress.

We have been successful in defeating red light cameras in the state of Florida where I reside.

I hope that you will take the time to review the NMA website and some of its benefits and share it with your members. Some of our benefits include a bi monthly newsletter, representation at state and federal levels, assistance with traffic tickets, and a growing group of like minded people interested in a better driving environment.

Check out their site
Excellent Driving Safety Site

If you have any questions, contact me -

Henry
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL Henry,

Welcome, I am glad to have NMO representative here Smile

Look at my links page - you guys are under partners -> driving safety over there Very Happy

I know your site for many years, and always respected you guys, albeit I don't agree with you on DRL. I think your site was the first I tried to exchange the links with after I started my own one. Smile

Actually I steered my wife towards your ticket program in this case, but she decided to go on her own.

And I fixed your link a bit - if you don't mind Wink
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just to vent a little bit... Evil or Very Mad
I H A T E it when the Popo puts speed traps at the bottom of a VERY SMALL hill, just before an uphill... It makes one ride their brakes going downhill only to have to step on the gas to go up hill. Seems like gliding would be better imho.

P.S. I like the police, I think they have a good honest job - this one thing just gets me worked up, however.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, those things are evil. Smile

Can't say I love the police - I am rather content about them. They do their job, and we do ours - all are parts of a big game. Smile
mirb7000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well when it is at a certain time, I think towards the end of each month, the cops are out fishing in order to meet their quotas and they will be ruthless when they are in a hurry to meet it. Like how about getting a ticket for going 1km above the limit and then they tell you that the spedometer needs to be checked.

View next topic
View previous topic