Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 49
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 49

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This seems to be universal rule, and it worked for me all over the world, except for left side driving countries – but you just need to change left to right and vise versa for those ones. Its amazingly high accuracy started to diminish somewhat in D.C. area recently, but still stays high. There are exceptions to this rule, and if you drive daily somewhere, you know the prevailing traffic pattern for the time of the day. But if you are in an unfamiliar place, it is your best bet to follow this rule while in traffic jam or in heavy traffic.

It sounds pretty simple: right lane is the fastest.

Explanation is pretty easy: average drivers (which are the majority of drivers on the road) prefer to stay in the left lane(s).
satiety

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ha! It was just a theory, but now it's true!! I knew this, but didn't know about the rule. But you're right, everyone wants the 'fast' lane.
sindhu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Be it a fast lane or slow lane, the lanes are constructed only to avoid congestion...
sriram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lanes are constructed not only to avoid congestion but also to avoid accidents by controlling the drivers speed.
Julianna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We must have a lot of country bumpkins in Arizona our far left lanes are the quickest and our far right lane is for on-coming and off-going traffic which is the slowest in California I do have to agree with you when it comes to the right lane, it was lickity split on there. lololo Very Happy
tony12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

In the country i live always people tend to choose the right lane and obviously becomes the crowded lane. i always prefer the left lane to ride freely and safely.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Tony, what side of the road you drive in your country? Welcome to Fun and Safe Driving BTW! Smile
shauna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think this is going to work for all. Thanks for sharing this tips dear. I bookmarked this forum. Also I love driving.
ellaboswell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

It may not be so in Estonia, but road laws in NZ, which are based on those in Australia and the UK, say that people must indicate before entering a roundabout if they are turning. The law also says that people must indicate as they leave the roundabout, no matter if they have turned or not.
Astraist
Master Driver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

The professional term is that the right lane is the "lane of least ressistance."

This kind of observation is true in countries where keeping right isn't practiced so widely. It's a real shame. The lane choice has to do with the flow of traffic. When traffic keeps right, overtakes briefly from the left and quickly flushes back right, the traffic streams much better. In my country, people are not keen about keeping right, and the right lane is usually fastest. However, once a certain amount of cars are present on the road, traffic will congense and slow down.

However, in countries where people do keep right (Western Europe) traffic will flow at high speeds even when there are a lot of cars on the roads, where in my country (or in the US, for that matter) it would begin to congense and slow down.

But other than this functional and cultural advantage, the idea of keeping to the right is about SAFETY. In right-hand driving countries, where is the driver's seat? On the left! This means that you will have traffic passing you only to your left, rather than passing by you at both sides, or on the right where your awareness is reduced (because you have to look for the mirror all across the cabin).

In most cars, the left-wing mirror will also be bigger, to cover for the obstruction caused by the B pillar when drivers look over their shoulder. In some cars (of american make), the right mirror is made to enlarge the image ("Objects in the mirrors are closer than they appear") but this can cause problems in gauging the exact distance.

Furthermore, the road infrastructure is also made to suit this driving style, where in keeping right you have traffic to your left, with an immediate escape route to the right. In the first left lane (mistakenly called a "middle lane") you have traffic around you in all directions, and in the far-left lane there is often no shoulder or at least a very narrow one, and maybe even a risk of oncoming traffic.
DaughterOfEve

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In the area that I live in The left lane is that fast lane and the right lane is slow. I guess its different in every area though. I find that the faster lane actually becomes slower to a certain degree because every one is in that lane. Now a days everyone want s to get some where fast so the stick to the fast lane. The lane then becomes more congested and has more accidents because people don't know how to slow down. The problem is that when you get in the fast lane most people speed not thinking that the still need to go the speed limit.

View next topic
View previous topic