Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 45
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 45

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
MidsummersEve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Recently my mother got into a car accident in heavy traffic.
Luckily she didn't total her brand new car.
Why is the car new? This past Thanksgiving she totaled her old car by rear-ending an SUV on a wet road.

You've got the picture.

I would like to provide my mother with some educational videos on safe driving. My current workplace uses Smith Systems, and I feel it would be very helpful for her. However short of stealing the videos from work I don't know how to get my mother the information she needs without spending a fortune.

P.S. My mother's English isn't great, and she has no intention of going out and taking a class at this time.

Are there any free resources available for the driving-challenged?
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Fun and Safe Driving Midsummers Eve. Thank you for joining our site.

There is plenty of information on the site to help your mother:
start at the main page:
http://www.funandsafedriving.com/
(if you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can keep clicking next and move onto more topics; see if anything interests you.)

Or you can go skim directly through the forum topics:
http://www.funandsafedriving.com/forums.html

There are lots of videos offered along with great advice! Best of luck to your mother; do let us know if you need any help Smile
GerardWon
Master Racer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

MidsummersEve wrote:
Recently my mother got into a car accident in heavy traffic.
Luckily she didn't total her brand new car.
Why is the car new? This past Thanksgiving she totaled her old car by rear-ending an SUV on a wet road.

You've got the picture.

I would like to provide my mother with some educational videos on safe driving. My current workplace uses Smith Systems, and I feel it would be very helpful for her. However short of stealing the videos from work I don't know how to get my mother the information she needs without spending a fortune.

P.S. My mother's English isn't great, and she has no intention of going out and taking a class at this time.

Are there any free resources available for the driving-challenged?

Dude I glanced at that website. Is it yours?

Srsly, I'd say just by that on peice of advice: 'leave yourself an out' is huge. I wrote a book on precision driving and they echo my advice.

Here is an excerpt from my book:

Pack drivers

People really seem to enjoy driving together in packs. I have a nickname for them…I call them pack drivers. I have no explanation for this phenomenon. I do know this; it is dangerous.

I have seen four or five cars driving together for long distances on an otherwise totally empty road. Then, miles away from the first pack another pack, and so on.

You cannot be in control of your own destiny when in this situation. You should always leave yourself an ‘out’, an exit, in case something bad happens. Don’t box yourself in. While in a pack you cannot leave yourself an ‘out’, you are trapped. This also kills the sheer joy you can experience from having your own little slice of empty pavement.

GerardWon
Astraist
Master Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

The solution is simple: Maintain the proper following distance. This distance should be a default of two seconds in the dry, four seconds in the wet and ten seconds in freezing conditions. In any case of doubt, the gap should be increased to three, five or twelve accordingly.

There is also such a thing as driving in a pack by intention, where friends or family drive somewhere in a pack. Police officers, army troops and security guards also drive in packs. There are several ground rules that can help in achieving maximal safety in a "pack" situation:

- Ensure all cars and drivers are fit to drive.

- Maintain the proper following distance

- Decide who "drives point" - which driver is inherintly faster? Which driver's car places the smallest visual obstruction to the cars behind it?

- Keep a way out: The first driver in line drives on the rightmost edge of the lane, where the driver behind drives in the center of the lane or even slightly to the left, and the one behind him drives in the right again.

- Make protected lane changes: The first driver should be attentive and notice any need for lane changes prematurely enough, so that he can set the signal and allow the cars behind him to change lanes before him, as to provide him with "cover"
Huoncloutier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Astraist wrote:
The solution is simple: Maintain the proper following distance. This distance should be a default of two seconds in the dry, four seconds in the wet and ten seconds in freezing conditions. In any case of doubt, the gap should be increased to three, five or twelve accordingly.

There is also such a thing as driving in a pack by intention, where friends or family drive somewhere in a pack. Police officers, army troops and security guards also drive in packs. There are several ground rules that can help in achieving maximal safety in a "pack" situation:

- Ensure all cars and drivers are fit to drive.

- Maintain the proper following distance

- Decide who "drives point" - which driver is inherintly faster? Which driver's car places the smallest visual obstruction to the cars behind it?

- Keep a way out: The first driver in line drives on the rightmost edge of the lane, where the driver behind drives in the center of the lane or even slightly to the left, and the one behind him drives in the right again.

- Make protected lane changes: The first driver should be attentive and notice any need for lane changes prematurely enough, so that he can set the signal and allow the cars behind him to change lanes before him, as to provide him with "cover"

Good reply dude... I like your post.
James23

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry but this is a random fact that I know if you are not comfortable driving espically when you are driving in a different country makes it easy to feel comfortbale they will take you out in a rent a car and test drive it with you if you like just to make sure that you feel comfortable driving the car. No matter what size of car.
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Fun And Safe Driving James23. Thank you for joining the forums Smile

View next topic
View previous topic