Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 56
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 56

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK, so in nine years of driving I've had two car batteries blow up on me and one other that failed suddenly and completely. Its possible that bad luck has biased me.

Buy a good quality battery. here are the reasons:

DOT won't let you install a standard car battery in the passenger compartment because it would be dangerous. The battery can fail suddenly and dramatically any time. Even if its not dangerous to you in the engine compartment it can strand you anywhere and possibly leave a big dangerous mess for you to clean up.

As batteries age their capacity decreases and their voltage drops more easily. Since your car's systems still require the same energy to run they draw more current, which isn't good for anything in the electrical system.

Batteries have acid that can easily rust or burn just about anything. Though it isn't dangerous for you to get it on your fingers or arm, you'll be paying when you rub your eye or go to the bathroom. (yes there is a story)

Instead of buying a battery described above, shell out a bit more dough and buy either one of those six pack looking batteries you see on the auto shows or one my employer makes, the Odyssey.

They are safe enough to set in your lap, (though I think DOT still requires you to strap them down somewhere) last longer with a very low chance of premature failure, don't leak acid even if cracked, and have a much lower internal resistance and much less voltage drop with load.

The only added danger is that if you short them out, they discharge a lot more energy. Keep in mind though, 12 volts will NOT travel through you. In fact, you have to get upwards of 80 or 90 volts before you're in danger. (I've licked my fingers and stuck them on terminals to prove this to safety officers at uptight plants)
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL is it advertisement? Very Happy

If seriously - well you can do this, and it does not hurt anything except for your wallet I guess. I always used standard batteries, and did not have any serious problem with them. The big but - I always watch what is going on with my cars, and take corrective measures at the first sign of real trouble approaching.

If you don't do such things, then this could be in fact very valuable mod for you, cause the battery is one of the most important things on your car.

Last edited by Misha on Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

no way to watch the inside of a battery. they become more and more brittle as they age. One plate breaking off is enough to cause a short that kills the battery.

~re-reading that, it does sound like an advertisement though Smile
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You don't really need to watch inside the battery. You just watch how car starts, and this gives you a pretty good clue o what shape the bettery is in.
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

it gives you a great indication of the normal slow deterioration of the battery, but not of developing cracks or oxidization of the impurities in the lead.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I could not convert you on this Crying or Very sad
However, you couldn't convert me, too Razz

Peace Teeter tooter
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

lol Misha, you remind me of a saying in my wife's family. "Conversation is a competition and I have all the points."
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL I like it Very Happy

Seriously, I have one experience with batteries, you have a different experience. I really don't see how we can convert one another Wink
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After re-reading this thread I realized Doh! I might have used my weight to close the discussion Good Night

Being generally nice person Very Happy I think I'll try to fix my mistake and to reopen this.

So, I'm trying to understand what kind of batteries you are talking about, what is their technology, how much do they cost in terms of bang for buck?
Hope you still have interest Hi ya
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If I can keep up in an argument with my wife, I can keep up in a friendly disagreement with you Razz

In terms of bang for the buck, these batteries cost about twice as much and last about twice as long. Its a bigger initial investment, but one that isn't wasted even regardless of the side advantages I listed.

I personally like them because I worry a lot about reliability when I buy stuff. I don't waste money and I look at items in terms of overall personal value. (my wife hates it when I start converting purchases into hours of labor at work)
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tell me, what happenes to your super-duper battery if you accidentally discharge it completely? If you do this 3 or 4 times?
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

in a perfect world batteries would be able to rise out of the engine compartment at that point and hit me upside the head with a wrench Very Happy

Its just as bad for that type of batter as it is for a regular lead-acid battery.

along those same thought lines.. I wonder why there isn't a failsafe for car batteries out there. Something like a switch that would open after a few minutes of continuous low voltage. It could be wired up with a buzzer and a relay so that you could just push a button inside the car to close the switch again if you had left your lights on and tripped the failsafe.

I guess its too late for that sort of thing to be worth designing now that new cars all seem to have lights that automatically shut off... too bad, I'll have to make my millions some other way Cool
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, than it's kinda waste of money for me - having a toddler boy who loves to play with car controls, I don't always remember to check everything is off when he leaves the driver's seat... I did replace my battery twice last year on 92 SI, and I think I have to replace it on 03 this year... And it's not only toddler - my wife forgot the beams a couple of times, too... Murano has automatic lights off, though, so it might make some sense when it's stock battery goes bad - providing after those approximately five years I will be planning on keeping Murano another ten years Very Happy

View next topic
View previous topic