Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 43
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 43

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Buying you own car was a tricky problem back then in the Soviet Union. Cars cost starting from three years worth of average salary, and they were not available freely. One had to be on waiting list for years to get an opportunity to buy a new Russian-made car. And no import whatsoever. So I was driving a motorbike and used my father’s car occasionally.

Then “perestroika” came, and by the end of it we found ourselves surrounded by cheap Japanese second hand import. Pure JDM, right hand steering. Those cars, being mainly 5 to 10 years old, were still a next generation cars comparing to new Russian ones. And they were cheaper.

By that time I had a decent job, and I started to look for the car for my family. I liked Honda City, they were cute little wagons with turboed 1.3L engine, and they were dirt cheap. I looked at many, some were really decent cars, but somehow I just could not pull the trigger. Once the seller suggested I look at the Civic he had. Man, I fell in love with this JDM Si at the first glance, no matter it was twice as expensive. They cheated on me dearly, this was 84’, and I bought it as 90’, and I still think it was worth it.

This car served me for many years to come, it became a friend and a family member. It never broke on me when I needed it. I finally sold it, long after I moved to US, when its heavily rusted body started to fall apart - Moscow winters are really harsh on cars. And other than rusted body, all the rest worked fine, except rusted A/C. This is not to say I did not do anything to this car. I did, and I did quite a few things, but they were either normal for the age (like brake pads or clutch replacement), or caused by my ignorance or negligence.

It had about 100K miles on odometer when I bought it, but I think this was cheating, too. With all my current experience with Hondas I would say it had at least 150-180K miles at the moment I bought it. And I drove it for another 80K.

This is the car I have on my avatar, I took a picture on the day I sold it.
kinzDon

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

My first car was mehran. first time i was buy this car. it's colour was silver and it is my favourite car i like so much. i was buy Rs. 250000 form suzuki dealer and now i have two car one is mehran and other one is civic.
sindhu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have recently bought RITZ.. Wow its the far best one I have ever seen. The style is like that of a race car and I enjoy driving it... It is a make of Maruthi.. It is Unlike traditional hatchbacks.. Excellent design
sindhu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Recently I drove my car to chennai. I hit the speed of 140 km/hr. Its really great to drive at this speed particularly in Indian roads...
arun
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My first car was Swift. It has an international standard model of a commercial as well as a race car model. Its ofcourse fuel efficient.
poonamt93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

My first car is Audi F6. I can tell you that, this car makes you feel extremely safe when driving it !! Impressive fuel economy for such a size of vehicle.I love this car!

LINK SNIPPED
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Poonam, I can't recall any kind of agreement between us allowing you to post links. Please kindly remind me of it if we had one, otherwise please stop posting links. Smile
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

My first car was a Honda city too Misha, given to me as a gift by my parents on my 21st birthday. I crashed it 3 months later....so now it's a painful dented mass in my memory..! Sad
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

How dare you to total a Honda! Wink

But I guess it taught you a first major lesson about safe driving, didn't it? Smile
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

um...I guess..... Confused
chiefjohn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

I still have my first car...a 1991 Volvo 240, it was a hand me down from my dad. I haven't kept it up like I should have...I should sell it or donate it but I'm too sentimental about it. It's funny how we get so attached to cars. Maybe I'm just a softie, but so many good memories in that car.
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Smile ... that's sweet. I too like things with sentimental value.... like a comfortable pair of pajamas... or my favorite couch. Some things you just want to keep forever!
Can't say the same about hubby though....! Wait, i didn't just say that! Oops
chiefjohn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, now, now I'm sure your Hubby is a wonderful man to have married such a wonderful lady as yourself!

I think my wife secretly wants me to get rid of that old rustbucket, but she's nice enough to not tell me directly!
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Confused um, I don't know about that, but thanks anyway...

Oh i can so understand your wife's attitude towards that old car...To tell you the truth, all women are the same: indulgent as girlfriends, and intolerant as wives! Laughing
chiefjohn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive. You seem like a great gal and I hope your hubby appreciates you!

And well as you may know, not all guys are the wonderful gentlemen they were before marriage either!

I do take care of all the car issues for my wife so maybe that's why she bites her tongue. If she sees me dump that car for a bright red sportcar convertible, then she'll know I'm having a midlife crisis and something is up Very Happy

View next topic
View previous topic