Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 18
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 18

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
vbman213

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So today I was driving home from school and I noticed a school bus coming down the road, as I approached the school bus the I slowed down and stopped about the same time the buss turned on its YELLOW Lights. Seeing as the lights were still yellow, I decided to continue through, and as soon as I proceeded (I keep my speed slow and safe), the bus began to change to RED stop. At this point I was at the point of no return, and I had to continue. At this point if I was in the way of children walking across the road.

As I passed the stop sign wasn't even fully erect.

I'm freaking out, I've already told my parents and if anything happens this will be my first very traffic violation. I began driving 3 years ago and I have not ever had a speeding ticket, accident, or any other violation. I have a clean slate.

But I'm freaking out.

I didn't get pulled over. I think that if I understand the law correctly, I can not get anything more than a verbal warning because no officer witnessed the incident (otherwise I might have gotten pulled).
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Relax, I don't think you broke the law, and you definitely did not endanger anybody. School bus driver always turns the red lights and stop sign well in advance of kids actually going out, so drivers like you who are passing have enough time to complete the maneuver. Smile

Oh, and welcome to Fun and Safe Driving! Smile
peeter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Calm down man

It's not huge mistake but you realize it's very important.

Next time take care.

Thanks
myownworld
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's good to know there are still conscientious drivers in the world! Don't worry, we all learn from our mistakes. Just a reminder to be extra careful near buses as it's not just about traffic 'rules', but the danger to people, esp. children getting off. Take care Smile
Julianna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

vbman213 wrote:
So today I was driving home from school and I noticed a school bus coming down the road, as I approached the school bus the I slowed down and stopped about the same time the buss turned on its YELLOW Lights. Seeing as the lights were still yellow, I decided to continue through, and as soon as I proceeded (I keep my speed slow and safe), the bus began to change to RED stop. At this point I was at the point of no return, and I had to continue. At this point if I was in the way of children walking across the road.

As I passed the stop sign wasn't even fully erect.

I'm freaking out, I've already told my parents and if anything happens this will be my first very traffic violation. I began driving 3 years ago and I have not ever had a speeding ticket, accident, or any other violation. I have a clean slate.

But I'm freaking out.

I didn't get pulled over. I think that if I understand the law correctly, I can not get anything more than a verbal warning because no officer witnessed the incident (otherwise I might have gotten pulled).

I honestly drove a school bus for 2 years, yup a 40' school bus because I was going through a midlife crisis and was burned out from Nursing. I do have to say it was the best 2 years of my life. If you are driving and the (ambers) are yellow you may continue to drive past the school bus even if you are halfway through. When they turn red you are to stop! A bus driver should always look out there side mirrors to see if traffic is moving on the driver's side before turning the (ambers) from yellow to red and should not unload any children until all traffic has came to a complete stop. I do not believe you would have been in the wrong unless of course the driver lied to protect there CDL. The next time the (ambers) come on yellow, look up in there driver mirror and see if you can see them looking at you. If they are not looking then they are not paying attention although it is yellow, just stop this will protect you from the possibility of hitting a child. Contact the school district, give them the bus # and tell them that the driver is not paying attention to traffic this will protect you and the driver preventing any accidents. Smile Smile

View next topic
View previous topic