Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 45
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 45

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

oil change, seafoam in the oil and gas, new exhaust, plugs, cap&rotor, clean battery terminals...

it feels like a new car!

...course the complete story is more annoying...

95 hatch fails emmisions test due to lack of exhaust coming from pipe.

Thinking this was a no brainer, I took it to a muffler shop. they found a small leak, replaced the muffler, then told me they'd seen much worse exhausts pass with flying colors.

retest 95 hatch, fails again, due to HC and No3 levels.

emissions test 98 hatch, it passes

muffler falls off 98 hatch, took it to the muffler shop and they need to replace the whole exhaust due to a hack and slash emergency repair during a roadtrip.

tune up the 95 hatch as read above, car is Flyin compared to before

pass emissions test with 95.

CEL turns on in the 98 hatch ... haven't read the code yet.

total cost: $700 and counting!
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For some reason I thought you don't have money to spend on cars LOL.

Let's see... Oil change and battery terminals have nothing to do with that, new exhaust probably too - unless you replaced the cat. Well, plugs would be my bet for the source of your problems.

And what is the deal with seafoam? Knowing me you might guess I'm very reluctant to put anything but pure oil in my oil pan, why do you think it helps? Yes, I read numerous kudos to seafoam on HCF, but those guys still think catback will boost gas mileage, so I don't give much credit to their opinion. I might believe it will help with cleaning fuel system and combustion chamber sediments, as lots of other aftermarket additives do, but putting this thing into my oil pan - no f***g way! Confused

Anyway, I'm glad you are up and running, and better than before! Congrats! Cool
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

no money to put into altering my car... which is a shame since I know a guy with a b16 sitting in his garage with all the swap parts for $1300...

Keeping it running is a different story.

I agree with you on the plugs. that was the biggest difference I noticed. cap, rotor, and battery terminals were done all at once and seemed to help with the idle, which is where I was failing emmisions.

As for the Seafoam, you'll notice I'm trying it in the engine that I'd really like to swap Very Happy I have heard good things on HCF as well as from my local people or I wouldn't consider it either.

btw.. will running it with 93 octane help pass emmisions? I know it doesn't do anything for performance, but I figured it wouldn't hurt and a LOT of people seem to swear by it.

btw.. you seem to be infamous on HCF Wink
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I see. No toys Crying or Very sad

As for seafoam - well I just thought about one thing. Do you remember how we changed oil in old times? Or you are too young for that? There was cleaning oil that you were supposed to put into the engine after draining the old one. And you had to run it some time (like 30 minutes) on this cleaning oil in idle, then drain it and put in the new one. Nowadays you are not required to do this anymore, but probably seafoam in the oil is a reincarnation of this old practice.

At the first glance I don't see how 93 octane can make any difference on emissions, so I bet this is one more urban myth. But I don't have enough info to argue against it as of yet, so I just leave it alone for now Smile

And HCF... Well, I think people tend to hate those who think differently, and I do think differently to the average HCF user, because of my age and background, so this is not surprising to me. What did surprise me was that I got some following there, and I really appreciate this Very Happy
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now they have that additive that you put in your oil right before the oil change, then just run it for 5 minutes. I've used that stuff inthe past to good result (or at least no bad result)

If you can stand the abuse, you should hop back in HCF, most forums develop that sort of oligarchy where the loudest and oldest members influence the general attitude, but its nice when discussion of opposing views happens despite that...

btw... I kept track of mpg on the trip to and from Michigan... I know one trip isn't that accurate but DAMN! my 95cx averaged to 42 mpg over a few hundred miles with me, my wife, and luggage.
arun
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Frequent oil change certainly helps in avoiding any problem with the leak and other faults. If oil leak is eliminated , then the problem is solved.

View next topic
View previous topic