Defensive driving site - your source of information and the place to share your experience
 Home    Save Gas    Forums    Encyclopedia    Articles    Polls    Videos    
Our Videos

Most Viewed Video How
How to sit properly while driving - Low Res

Latest Video Driving
Driving around slippery corner in Croatia

Highest Rated Video Driving
Driving in Moscow

Main Menu
· Home
· Articles
· Driving Links
· Encyclopedia
· Forums
· Highway Surveys
· Mapquest Driving Directions
· Video Library

Drivers Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Drivers Online:
Visitors: 50
Member Drivers: 0
Total: 50

View unanswered posts
View next topic
View previous topic
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

myth:
It is better for your car if you engine-brake by downshifting through your gears while approaching a stop

truth:
your brakes are made for braking and are a LOT cheaper to replace than your transmission

extra:
engine braking IS a valuable skill to have in case of brake failure, especially since most modern 'emergency brakes' use the same hydraulic system as the regular brakes.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

100% agree as defined,
BUT
if you are driving on an icy road, this is the most efficient and safe way to slow down Smile
Pavlo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wrong, most, is not all cars use cable e-brake!
You will need to have another master brake cylinder, more brake lines, and just a comlex system. Please enlighten me of a single passanger car that uses a hydraulic e-brake.
I've been fixing cars for quite some time, and yet to see a car with a stupid system like that, as it is more possibilities for failure.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think you misunderstood something. Nobody is talking about parking brake here.
Pavlo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just reread it and still can't figure out what Stimpy ment by "emergency brake", like system that makes you stop if one of your lines is broken? Please explain.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, my bad! Oops I'm sorry man, you are absolutely right. I don't know how I missed it, guess just did not read his last sentence carefully, because it just did not add to the main idea about engine braking.

Yep, you are right, I don't know any car with hydraulic parking brake, so Stimpy is off here. Confused
Stimpy
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

*thinkin*

I know the E-brake is cable actuated, but once it gets to the caliper it uses hydraulic pressure doesn't it?

dang it.. now I have to find my manual.

..can't really tell by the exploded drawing, but the reason I was thinking that is from when I replaced the rear calipers on my car. I thought I had bled the brakes well enough, but the brakes AND E-brakes felt squishy on the test drive. When I took more car in bleeding them, both types of braking improved. ..Maybe I inadvertently fixed a seperate problem at the same time.. Laughing
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think I know why. Honda pistons (and I think other brands, too) have self-adjusting mechanism to keep the pads at the correct distance to the rotor. It is basically the kind of screw and nut with springs, and parking brake cable turns the lever that pushes the screw that pushes the nut that pushes the piston....

It just takes braking several (guess much more than ten) times until it gets fully adjusted after caliper assembly. Until then it keeps piston too far away.
ImperialBlue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Stimpy wrote:
myth:
It is better for your car if you engine-brake by downshifting through your gears while approaching a stop

truth:
your brakes are made for braking and are a LOT cheaper to replace than your transmission

extra:
engine braking IS a valuable skill to have in case of brake failure, especially since most modern 'emergency brakes' use the same hydraulic system as the regular brakes.

Why do you think engine braking significantly damages the transmission?

Obviously engine braking is of little benefit if you need to stop, but it is absolutely the correct thing to use when adjusting your speed when approaching a roundabout or corner and you need to take a few mph off - it is no better or worse for your transmission than driving - it's the same forces, just in the opposite direction.

Dropping down a gear or two when approaching standing traffic puts your transmission under no more stress than accelerating would, saves your brakes, and means you are in the correct gear to accelerate should conditions allow. And it's less effort - if you were slowing from, say 40 mph to 15mph you would need to change gear anyway Smile
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

IB, I think Simpy was addressing exactly what he wrote - using transmission instead of brakes when this is uncalled for by driving conditions - exactly like breaking to stop before the red light, and he did not mean casual engine breaking to adjust the speed. And btw those several extra shifts down per occurrence WILL put some extra strain on transmission...

In the past I spent some time on American car forum populated by teen drivers, and it is amazing how many myths and misconceptions are circulated there as an obvious truth, probably because of the lack of driver education.
arun
Driver
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Myth should always remain as Myth. Its a saying that Truth alone triumps. Engine brake is not a necessary factor as long as brakes do their work .
EYEAM4ANARCHY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is somewhat nitpicky, but engine breaking and down shifting are two completely different things.
Misha
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Kelly, and welcome!

Not sure I see your point. Yes, they are different - yet interrelated, too. Smile
shauna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

excellent post. I bookmarked this post. Like this, but myths are always myths. But truth is always truth.
MonzaSpyderMark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that I think the original poster meant 'Clutch wear' rather than 'transmission damage'.

Thereby make more sense with a much simpler statement. Replacing worn brake pads is cheaper and easier than a worn out clutch disc.

That being said...I personally love to clutch brake over using my brake pads. If you concentrate on matching revs (such as a heel-toe shift) your not wearing the clutch that bad, OR your brake pads.

Here's what I think is could be the biggest detractor to this method...

Your slowing your vehicle down, with NO SIGNAL (brake lights) to other motorists. That could make it hard for other drivers to operate smoothly behind your vehicle.

But alas, it's not like your brake lights don't come eventually.

Sometimes I do have the brakes on and I'm downshifting to help slow the car, much like an automatic tranny which uses some engine compression to slow the vehicle to the point where the torque converter disengages.

Thats from speeds around 55/60 to a complete stop, like you'd find on the Lake Ontario State Parkway, heading from Rochester NY out towards Niagara Fall's

View next topic
View previous topic